Fois 1 remote does not work volume or turn on/off the TV
Robertlew1
Newbie

Just got my Fios 1 yesterday.  I installed it and it works fine except for the remote,it will not operate the volume or turn the TV on or off.  I tried the vaiable or fixed section on the Audio but it does not work.  I have to use the TV remote.  Any help?

0 Likes
Reply
1 Solution
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to Menu > Settings > Voice Control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Voice Remote > Manual Setup > Press ‘OK’ to select.

Select the TV brand and model and follow the steps.

View solution in original post

97 Replies
JohnJohnD
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a very simple setup, Verizon FiOS One main box (not a Mini), a Samsung Model UN55C7000WF TV, and that's it.  I was getting all the crazy stuff seen in this thread, where the remote Volume Up was acting like the Input button, the Volume Down was turning the TV off.  It didn't matter how I set it up, even when I selected the exact TV Model.

I tried resetting the remove and setting it up again, removing the batteries, etc, many times, all to no avail:  same symtpoms.  But I was always using the stuff from the Settings > Voice Remote menu, the Auto and Manual selections there.  They only test the volume during their setup.

Finally, I did a full reset of the entire box (not just the remote), using the menus to do a full reset.  That triggered the default Remote Setup, where not only does it test the Volume, but it also does a Power Off/Power On test.  After that, my remote started working perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.

SM22
Newbie

Yesterday, for some unknown reason, my remote stopped controlling the volume and the on/off for my TV.  It is an RCA LED (Model #LED32B30RQD).  I have tried resetting the box, the remote, the audio (Fixed/Variable), re-pairing the remote, manually configuring by brand, etc. without success.  It worked fine on Sunday (and for the prior 6 months) and something changed by Verizon.  Any ideas or suggestions?

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Try pulling the batteries out of the remote for 15 minutes or so. You might have to reprogram it after, not sure. Also unplug TV for the same 15 minutes. Does the original remote for the TV still work?

Dcc11
Newbie

Try unplugging tv for 15 seconds. Plug back in. Worked for mine...

0 Likes
Reply
Momma01
Newbie

We’re you ever able to get the volume to work. Having same issues with one of our Samsung tvs n it’s a new tv. WTH 

0 Likes
Reply
EJV2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have same issue and have tried resetting remote several times and manually entered my LG model UB9500 number and volume and channels still don't work

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@EJV wrote:

I have same issue and have tried resetting remote several times and manually entered my LG model UB9500 number and volume and channels still don't work


The Fios remote should change channels on the Fios box, and volume on TV. It will not change channels on the TV. Remember to point the remote at the TV. It doesn't have to point at the Fios box. Also try removing the batteries from the remote for 5 minutes, then reprogram the remote.

0 Likes
Reply
EJV2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will try the battery recommendation.  Yes, I know it doesn't change the TV channels.  I was referring to the STB channels and the TV volume.  

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@EJV wrote:

I will try the battery recommendation.  Yes, I know it doesn't change the TV channels.  I was referring to the STB channels and the TV volume.  


This was posted as a possible solution:

Re: Fois 1 remote does not work volume or turn on/off the TV
Message 87 of 87
(19 Views)

I had the same issue.  I unplugged the HMDI to my AVR and plugged it directly to the TV and did an auto program,  it worked.  

0 Likes
Reply
GG20201
Enthusiast - Level 1

The process of swapping HDMI (disconnect from receiver) worked momentarily.  But the STB recognized the receiver moments later, even though it was never turned on, and triggered the auto remote programming.  At which point it reverted back to the FIOS remote will turn off/on LG TV but volume/mute through the Marantz receiver.   Like thre original poster, I di not want the FIOS remote to control the receiver, only my TV.  How do we setup the STB to ignore that there is a receiver in line?

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@GG2020 wrote:

The process of swapping HDMI (disconnect from receiver) worked momentarily.  But the STB recognized the receiver moments later, even though it was never turned on, and triggered the auto remote programming.  At which point it reverted back to the FIOS remote will turn off/on LG TV but volume/mute through the Marantz receiver.   Like thre original poster, I di not want the FIOS remote to control the receiver, only my TV.  How do we setup the STB to ignore that there is a receiver in line?


Have you tried turning off TV input control on the Fios box and CEC on the receiver? Then try re-programming the remote again, it should ignore the receiver.

GG20201
Enthusiast - Level 1

Clem53 - this is not a good suggestion because we (myself and several of the posters) afte using ARC / eARC.  When we want the receiver on, adjusting the volume with the remote should then adjust the receiver via ARC.  So CEC is required to ensure that can occur.  It is only when the receiver is off that the TV volume should adjust with the remote. 

In any case, I spoke with a fantastic tech agent at Verizon.  They opened a case with IT and i mentioned all those in this post having the same issue.   We followed the same steps and have had success (2 days running) without remote/STB reprogramming itself.

Remove receiver > STB to TV hdmi > reset remote using onscreen menu > MANUALLY setup remote to your TV model (not auto setup - they think using Auto might have been the issue).  Once remote programmed, reconnect receiver with cable (FIOS input) as standby passthrough.  Fios remote now controls TV volume when receiver off, and controls receiver volume (via TV-ARC) when it's on.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@GG2020 wrote:

Clem53 - this is not a good suggestion because we (myself and several of the posters) afte using ARC / eARC.  When we want the receiver on, adjusting the volume with the remote should then adjust the receiver via ARC.  So CEC is required to ensure that can occur.  It is only when the receiver is off that the TV volume should adjust with the remote. 

In any case, I spoke with a fantastic tech agent at Verizon.  They opened a case with IT and i mentioned all those in this post having the same issue.   We followed the same steps and have had success (2 days running) without remote/STB reprogramming itself.

Remove receiver > STB to TV hdmi > reset remote using onscreen menu > MANUALLY setup remote to your TV model (not auto setup - they think using Auto might have been the issue).  Once remote programmed, reconnect receiver with cable (FIOS input) as standby passthrough.  Fios remote now controls TV volume when receiver off, and controls receiver volume (via TV-ARC) when it's on.


Never ran into that because i have my receiver on all the time I watch TV. If that worked and doesn't auto re-program, it's a great way of doing the programming. Only downside is ARC is flakey on occasion with some devices.

Ladyblessings1

Still didn’t work

0 Likes
Reply
Karlemann
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did all that a NUMBER OF TIMES. Remote still does not work, does not change sound level, does not turn off TV. Have "8.1"

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

The variable volume control in the Fios One box only applies to the analog audio out. It has no effect on the HDMI or optical out of the box. It should be "Fixed" for most people. If you are seeing a volume slider in the upper right of the screen that says fixed or variable, the remote is programmed for the Fios box to control volume, not your TV. The new remote sends infrared signals to all devices except the Fios box which is sent Bluetooth. You need line of sight for the remote to function for anything except the Fios box. It sounds like one of the latest firmware updates may have broken the volume function for some TVs. Please post your firmware version and TV make here so we can see what's going on. If trying the manual programming doesnt help, then please post make and firmware version.


@Ritter197 wrote:

Did all that a NUMBER OF TIMES. Remote still does not work, does not change sound level, does not turn off TV. Have "8.1"


Frabbarr
Newbie

It does not work with my new Samsung. oddly though, it used to. It stopped after I was handling the remote while watching the computer- some combination of keys I inadvertently pressed apparently disabled it.  Fortunately, I still have the old remote, which adjusts the volume just fine.

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Frabbarr wrote:

It does not work with my new Samsung. oddly though, it used to. It stopped after I was handling the remote while watching the computer- some combination of keys I inadvertently pressed apparently disabled it.  Fortunately, I still have the old remote, which adjusts the volume just fine.


Does the old remote still turn the power off as well? This might be helpful to know in sorting this out.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Frabbarr wrote:

It does not work with my new Samsung. oddly though, it used to. It stopped after I was handling the remote while watching the computer- some combination of keys I inadvertently pressed apparently disabled it.  Fortunately, I still have the old remote, which adjusts the volume just fine.


Can you tell me the Model # of the Fios box, the firmware version (APR), the model and make of TV and when it started to give you grief? Support needs the info to see what's going on.

Thanks

Janefoe484
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has a solution been provided to this yet? Can't tell/hard to follow the order of these posts.

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Janefoe484 wrote:

Has a solution been provided to this yet? Can't tell/hard to follow the order of these posts.


Support needs model of box, APR version, make and model of TV and when you started to have the issue. They need that info to track the problem.

Thanks