How do you hide the STB? What can you do in a tiny space to install a small TV?
sunshine4me

I have a tiny apartment kitchen with no cupboard space in which to hide a box.  Can I put it in another room and then use one of those "eye" transmitter systems to remote to it?  I'm so lost trying to understand what off-the-shelf stuff really works.  I actually haven't even found a small enough flat panel yet of decent quality to fit my small space.  Seems people are only interested in giant TVs these days.

Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: How do you hide the STB? What can you do in a tiny space to install a small TV?
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

@sunshine4me wrote:

I have a tiny apartment kitchen with no cupboard space in which to hide a box.  Can I put it in another room and then use one of those "eye" transmitter systems to remote to it?  I'm so lost trying to understand what off-the-shelf stuff really works.  I actually haven't even found a small enough flat panel yet of decent quality to fit my small space.  Seems people are only interested in giant TVs these days.

Yes they work with any IR Remote-Settop Box.  Radio Shack sells them and they are inexpensive.  The Transmitter converts the remote's IR signal to RF and transmits it to the other room where the receiver converts it back to IR.  You just position the 'receiver' near the Settop Box and the 'transmitter' near the TV in the Kitchen.

0 Likes
Re: How do you hide the STB? What can you do in a tiny space to install a small TV?
sunshine4me

Is there any space limitation on the wire between the TV and the box?  I have concrete ceilings, no basement of course, so the wires will have to snake around baseboards and over doorways.  I wish there were a wireless solution.

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

@sunshine4me wrote:

Is there any space limitation on the wire between the TV and the box?  I have concrete ceilings, no basement of course, so the wires will have to snake around baseboards and over doorways.  I wish there were a wireless solution.

It's a given that your are NOT going to run Component Cables nor RCA from room to room .  That leaves only 2 possibilities HDMI or Coaxial Cable.  I Don't know what the limit for coaxial cable is, but I doubt that you would exceed it in a small apartment. However, you won't be able to get HD using a coax connection as the output for the coax on the box is only analog.

The HDMI limit recommended by Motorola for their HD Boxes is less than 20 meters (65 feet) and would probably be the best choice.  You can get HDMI cable in these lengths pretty cheap on-line at places like Monoprice Com and Better Cables.com.

I doubt that you want to make up the ends for the HDMI cable so you want to buy a finished cable. Therefore, you would want a length long enough to reach but not more than 65 feet.  I know I have seen them in lengths of 45, 50 and 65.

0 Likes
sunshine4me

Thank you for your reply.  What are my options for non-HDMI?  I don't think a small screen TV will be HDMI or is that becoming standard for everything new?

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

@sunshine4me wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  What are my options for non-HDMI?  I don't think a small screen TV will be HDMI or is that becoming standard for everything new?

Coaxial would be the only other resonable choice.  The screen size is not the issue with HDMI.  HDMI is digital and carries both the picture and sound on a single wire.  It allowes for a High Definition picture and surround sound.  HD TV's come in sizes from small to large screen.  If you don't think you will be using a HD TV then Coax will do the trick. 

If you already have the TV and it's not HD then go with Coax.  If you don't have the TV, wait until you choose/buy one then decide on the cable you want to use based on what the TV is capable of.

There is not much differece in the work required to run either one.

0 Likes