How to wire up Motorola 7216 for use with receiver and without?
scampa

I am about to setup a new TV and receiver with my FIOS Motorola 7216 set top box....

I am getting the Samsung Series 8 LCD (8000 model) and a Sony DA4400ES receiver.  Both Support HDMI.

I am wondering what the best setup is so that I can use the TV with the Motorola box WITHOUT the receiver sometimes (not as loud) and WITH the reciever at other times.

Do I hookup the cable box directly to the TV using HDMI? COAX? and then output the sound to the receiver (seems logical)?  Do I hookup the Motorola to the receiver via HDMI, then to the TV (I suspect this will mean the reciver would always need to be on)....

I just want to be able to watch TV without the receiver sometimes and with it on other times, but want the best picture/sound....

Any help would be appreciated...this will avoid much tinkering when the stuff arrives...

Thanks!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to wire up Motorola 7216 for use with receiver and without?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Now I dont know about your specific models. but how I have my TV and stereo set up is like this...

HDMI from STB to TV

SPDIF (I use the spdif optical audio but the STB has both the optical and the component spdif)  from STB to stereo.

Thats it.  This way when the stereo is off, then the tv works on its own. Then if I want the stereo going, all I have to do is turn it on.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Now I dont know about your specific models. but how I have my TV and stereo set up is like this...

HDMI from STB to TV

SPDIF (I use the spdif optical audio but the STB has both the optical and the component spdif)  from STB to stereo.

Thats it.  This way when the stereo is off, then the tv works on its own. Then if I want the stereo going, all I have to do is turn it on.

0 Likes
scampa

Ill try that!  I hadn't thought of that, but that makes allot of sense!

Thank you!

0 Likes