I think I know what I need to do to pre-install for FiOS TV.. am I right?
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

I currently have FiOS internet/voice service. I ran a Cat5 line from near the ONT to a wiring closet in my house, where the router sits and feeds the rest of the network.

As I read about FiOS TV, thought, this is going to have to change. Instead of Cat5, I will need a coax run to the wiring closet to feed the Actiontec which will then feed the rest of my Cat5 network. Luckily, the 2 coax runs I current use for DirecTV are running right above the wiring closet.

So, I believe I need to tap into one of the two runs of coax and add a 2 set coupler. Continue on run of the coupler to where the DiPlexer is today and replace the DiPlexer with another muliset coupler to feed the various TVs. Take the other run of the first coupler and send it down into the wiring closet and have it ready for the ActionTec router.

I believe the existing Cat5 from the ONT will go dark as will the second run of coax ruiing through the house. I am assuming FiOS only needs one of the coax runs to feed all the TV and DVRs and MRDVRs or whatever I end up with.

Oh, yeah.. then I need to wait for 1.9 so I can get DVR to DVR communication.

How'd I do?

Thanks,

- m

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I think I know what I need to do to pre-install for FiOS TV.. am I right?
prisaz
Legend

You can leave the CAT5 from the ONT to your router, and only carry the TV signal from the ONT to the TVs over COAX. The router wil bridge between the CAT5 WAN and the COAX MoCA LAN connections for your TVs to get the signal. But you will need coax and CAT5 from your ONT to your router. The coax would have a splitter to your STBs, and a connection to your router. That is how mine is setup. I can use my own router if I like, but it is not supported. If you chose to use your own router you would still need to pass the IP to the coax with the actiontec.

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

You can leave the CAT5 from the ONT to your router, and only carry the TV signal from the ONT to the TVs over COAX. The router wil bridge between the CAT5 WAN and the COAX MoCA LAN connections for your TVs to get the signal. But you will need coax and CAT5 from your ONT to your router. The coax would have a splitter to your STBs, and a connection to your router. That is how mine is setup. I can use my own router if I like, but it is not supported. If you chose to use your own router you would still need to pass the IP to the coax with the actiontec.

mphare
Contributor - Level 2

That sounds fine, thanks for the response.

I will also use my own router south of the ActionTec to serve DHCP to the rest of my network. I will also turn the Wireless off the ActionTec and use my own WAP to serve WiFi to the rest of the house.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I wanted everything to work and it is. TV, Remote DVR access, Multi Room DVR. and caller ID. My Verizon router is now defaulted up front like Verizon needs. I have one additional IP on the Actiontec other than the TV hardware, and that is my Linux router. Actiontec wireless off and Hawking WAP hanging off my 16 port switch. But if the Actiontec went South, I would not have to wait for a MOCA router since Ethernet is enabled on the ONT. I have a few older routers on the shelf that would get me by in a pinch. Not to mention the Linux box works great right off the ONT, but breaks all the FiOS features. So for now I will use the Actiontec as primary and have all the features. Now if I decide to start gaming with X Box, I might change my mind. The IP-Cop Linux shows the NAT table when it is up front and it is interesting to see ALL the port connections.

Good luck and enjoy.

0 Likes