Media Manager Start
prisaz
Legend

Is there something I did wrong for Media Manager not to start when I login? The executable is set to run as administrator, which I do not like, but Verizon seems to think is required by the default setting after installation. But it will still not load at login. Would be nice if this could run as a service and not be required to run as administrator and have the user logged in. Since this is required for 99% or the DVR features, would it not be nice to have it work? Come on Verizon at least get this software classified if not signed. Perhaps if there were a publisher listed in your software product it would solve this. Please provide an update or patch.

Thank you.

PS.

Please don't tell me it is because I am running 64bit. So are most users now. Please provide better support.

I consider what this user did as a bandaid. I would rather not even use the product if this is required. any fix?

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Verizon-Media-Manager-will-not-start-autom...

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Start
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since the MM is not a signed application, Windows Defender appears to not recognize it.   Depending on your default settings in Windows Defender, unclassified apps can be prevent from automatically starting as a safety measure (an attempt to prevent malware which sometimes installs startup shims from getting started).

Classify the MM program (should be able to right click or drop down a menu on that line you show and classify it as known/permitted.

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Start
prisaz
Legend

@lasagna wrote:

Since the MM is not a signed application, Windows Defender appears to not recognize it.   Depending on your default settings in Windows Defender, unclassified apps can be prevent from automatically starting as a safety measure (an attempt to prevent malware which sometimes installs startup shims from getting started).

Classify the MM program (should be able to right click or drop down a menu on that line you show and classify it as known/permitted.

I tried everything in Windows defender to change the classification and natta. Let me go back and look again, perhaps I missed it. I put in an idea to provide better 64Bit support, and perhaps a way to run this media manager like a server on your network, without having to be logged in. I don't make it a habit of leaving any system logged into running applications as administrator. I will keep you posted.

Lasagna

Are you running media manager on 64Bit Windows? Installed InHomeAgent and it has issues too......

Right clicking on the item in defender provide the StartUp Type, Publisher, No Grouping. None of which do anything except change the was it is displayed in the list. Perhaps this is a MS issue. I can not find a way to change the classification from not yet classified, to permitted. It seems that all the programs require unsigned drivers, and I refuse to run my system ignoring driver signing.

Funny thing Spell Check wants to change InHomeAgent to Incompetent. Try it!Smiley Very Happy

Come on register your software with Microsoft!

Update

It seems that pretty much everything Verizon writes wants to be administrator. Either sloppy code or they can't get squat from Microsoft after dumping their STB and DVR image. Can't you just play nice together? MS & VZ?

0 Likes