Mobile remote iphone/iPad app
Bizzyb1

I'm trying to connect my iPhone and iPad to my DVR using the fios app. I can set the DVR to record just fine but when i am trying to set up the mobile remote it is not working. I get to the widget on the DVR and go to fios mobile remote. I click on register a mobile remote. From here it just gives me a pin but does not ask me what type of device I have or anything.  When I open the app on my phone it doesn't ask for the pin at all  It just says it fails to connect. The message on the tv says 'only mobilat devices that are part of this household can access this account. I can't figure out why this isn't working. 

0 Likes
Re: Mobile remote iphone/iPad app
louisquissett

Same problem here.  Talked to customer support and they said I would get a call back in 48 hours.  Its been a week now with nothing. 

0 Likes
Bizzyb1

Any help with this one one?

0 Likes
liochang

I just spent an hour on the phone withthe same issue, during which, I was repeatedly told, they are not trained to support this. Loong story short, I was told Verizon does not support the App, and I would need to get oniine and find a forum that supports it, or go back to the Apple App store and find tech support.

Phewwwwww, I thought I was crazy...

0 Likes
Janet114
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's my experience too.. I can use the app to watch shows on my iPad and i can set a show to record to my Dvr.  I can browse stuff already recorded on my dvr.  But I cannot get the app to 'pair' with set top box so I can use the app as a remote control... Right now when try touch the 'play on TV'  button, i say 'pair' it, and I get a message that it can't find any set top box,

my set to box does show up properly in the settings, and as I mentioned, I can easily browse recorded shows.

but..  I did get it to pair ONCE.  It worked as a remote just great.  I was delighted.  But didn't want to use my main Verizon I'd and password on my husbands and my iPads.  So I set up a sub account just for TV live access.

then I logged out of the app and logged in with the new I'd.  All loaded fine, but it would not pair with my set top box.  I logged out and logged back with my main account.  Again, it would not pair.   I unplugged my stb, powered it back on, let it initialize, but it he app still wouldn't pair.  I reset my iPad.  Still no pairing,

so now I'm stuck.  It seems unreasonable that I would have to reboot my router, but that's the only thing left..  Obviously SOMETHING isn't working properly on the pairing process since all other functions work properly.  The only thing that doesn't work is my iPad acting as a remote control.

i did send in a feedback hoping it would get to the app developers.  

Janet

Janet114
Enthusiast - Level 2

I fixed my problem.  Had to delete the app and reinstall, but then it's working just fine.

the funny thing is that now it picked up another SD settop box in the house.. And the remote control works great on that one as well.  The first time I installed the app, it didn't find that one.

So, all is working finE for me with the app.  Here this mightiest give someone else some help too,

janet

0 Likes
NYCFiOS

Well, you've had better luck than I.  Deleting and reinstalling the FiOS Remote app on my iphone has not fixed the problem. I know that there is a widget in the STB that creates a PIN for devices that will be used as remotes, but the iPhone app doesn't ask for a PIN as someone else already mentioned.  No sign anywhere to enter a PIN in the app's settings menu either.  I did have to sign in with my My Verizon user ID and password when I first loaded the app, but it didn't ask again after deleting and reinstalling which I thought was unusual.

So when I'm already in the app and I select the remote function, the skin with the remote buttons appears as expected.  If I tap to select a STB a list appears and successfully lists the 3 STBs I have in the house.  When I choose the desired STB it will try to connect.  I then see this message pop up on my TV screen:

Mobile Remote

FiOS Companion

Only mobile devices that are part of this

household FiOS account can access this Set

Top Box. Please try again using a mobile

device that is part of this household.

<OK>

Despite having the <OK> button, the message box will disappear quickly all on its own!  I had to keep trying to connect just to get a look at all the words to get it all typed out here on the forum!

The app description in iTunes states this: "New seamless remote pairing - just sign in to your account and the device will be automatically paired with the Set-Top Boxes in your household."  I don't know if this means I should NOT be using the widget in the STB (has a release date of 2009/12/30), but I did try with and without a PIN enabled through the widget (even if I couldn't enter the PIN anywhere on my iphone app).  Based on everything I've seen, it looks like the auto-pairing just doesn't work.  Did earlier versions of the app have these problems?  Looks like making it easier made it harder...

0 Likes
NYCFiOS

OK, so here's an update on my situation:

It is now working for me.  At first I thought it started to work because I also downloaded the My Fios app and it was some kind of precondition for the remote app to work.  I then realized it was something else, though.  I now believe the remote app worked from the start.  What I noticed is the labels for my 3 boxes are all screwed up.  My master bedroom box is labelled Bedroom 1, the basement box is labelled Master Bedroom, and the second bedroom is labelled Basement!  EVERY label is incorrect, therefore no matter which STB I tried to connect to when going from room to room, it didn't appear as though it was working!  It was probably responding at the assigned and mislabelled STB in another room while I wasn't there!  Out of frustration and having no other options left I just chose a label from the list in the remote app that *didn't* match the STB I was testing and BAM, it worked!  Does anyone know how to correct these labels?  Seems like they might be set within each box or maybe by the FiOS tech when the system was installed.

0 Likes
martyr99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Try menu

Settings

Set-Top Box

Set-Top Box Name

Do Refresh first to see it's current name  

Modify  to change (can select from predefined or do a custom)

AprilM3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem when I tried to set up the mobile remote with my iPad. Much like you, when I selected the widgets>mobile app>register mobile remote I was assigned a pin number without the option of selecting a type of device. I then tried resetting the STB and uninstalling/reinstalling the FIOS app on my iPad with no luck.

However it began to work once I returned to widgets>mobile app>register mobile remote and selected an additional device. Much like last time I was only given a pin number. Now on the FIOS app on my iPad the little remote on the top right hand corner connected (identified by wifi bars lighting up above the remote). Works fine now.

Note. Sometimes when you put the iPad to sleep and return to the FIOS app you'll get a "Remote Control - Error in Remote Connectivity, Please try again." From here you have to select the remote control on the top right corner, select the STB button and refresh the list. Reselect the name in the dialog box (mine is "unnamed device").