No HDMI input for HD-TV; component video doesn't give picture
bjmarg
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just swapped an HD DVR STB, which was connected via component video, for an HD STB.  There is no HDMI input on my HD ready TV, so I connected the STB to the TV via the same cables as the tech did when he came out (i.e., I used the component video and component audio connections).  I get sound, but no video.  

I tried the other connections: S-video gives me a black and white picture,

and the standard coax cable gives me regular video + audio.

I would prefer to use the component video, though.  Is this a widespread problem?  Is there a solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No HDMI input for HD-TV; component video doesn't give picture
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
I'd connect it using the component cables, and then contact tech support and see if they can do a factory reset on the STB. If that fails, they will likely replace it.

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Sounds like a bad STB.  S-Video should give you 480i in normal color and 4:3 aspect ratio - not B&W.  Also the component (RED/GREEN/BLUE RCA jacks) should give full HD resolution output just like your DVR. 

Other possibility is that the STB is set to a resolution your TV can't handle so no picture on the component hookup (doesn't explain the S-Video anomally since it is only capable of outputing at 480i).

0 Likes
bjmarg
Enthusiast - Level 1
Should I try a reset first?  And if that doesn't work, then request a replacement STB?
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
I'd connect it using the component cables, and then contact tech support and see if they can do a factory reset on the STB. If that fails, they will likely replace it.