Not getting HD channels
ccz

After I installed a TV set box in the attic for my kitchen TV, two of my three TV's sporadically give me error codes that certain HD channels are not available please call.....etc.  I simply linked up the new box from the splitter in the attic using coax cable I bought at home depot.  I also attempted to install a signal booster/amplifier but abandoned that after the internet would not work.

I call Verizon and they me after talking with their techs that maybe the cable is not up to Verizon standards and to have a tech come out and look at it.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Not getting HD channels
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Yes it is possible that the cable or the quality of the connectors is the issue.  Is the cable RG-6 or RG-59 (should be RG-6)?  Are the connectors crimped or compression (should be compression)?  Is the splitter rated for 5 MHz to 1000 MHz?  Are ther any outputs fromt he splitter that are not terminated (connected to an STB, TV, or 75 ohm termination)?

Any one or a combination of these could cause channel loss.  If you go into the InHome Agent (from the menu) what is the SNR on the diagnostic test?  Should be 24 dB to 26 dB.  If it's not, you have a signal problem.

Also, as you found out, typical cable amplifiers don't work in the Verizon system even if they are labeled as bi-directional (they are not for the frequencies that Verizon uses).  Only a MoCA capable amplifer could be used, but this is seldom required since the signal is stronger than the average cable company signal (should easily survive an 8-way split).

0 Likes
ccz

Thanks for the response.  I looked at the new splitter I installed and it's a 5-900mhz.  So I will put back in the old one which is 5-1000.  Do you recommend using a 2.4ghz splitter?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

2.4 GHz shouldn't be needed.  All the PDI splitters installed by Verizon are 5 MHz to 1000 MHz (1 GHz).  That seems to be adequate.

0 Likes
ccz

Again, thanks.  I put in a 2.4Ghz before I read the last response and all systems are a go.  However the tv in the basement is reading 22db up from 21db where it was before when failing to load a select group of channels.  All channels are working though.  For now my problems is solved.

0 Likes