On Demand skipping
sphynx1

I have had fios for @ a month and everything is great, except the on demand in unwatchable. 

It constantly skips video and audio and pixelizes. Before someone suggests it is the cables, it is not. I have reseated all connections and have reset router and have nothing else on. The quality of on demand is horrible and blurry, which I'm sure is the broadcasted content, but this skipping is ridiculous. I've tried different resolution and audio settings, but nothing fixes it.

This ONLY happens on On Demand. Everything else is fine.   What gives?

Is this a known problem? It seems like something on verizon's broadcasting end and not my setup although...

This is occuring on a 6416 HD-DVR. Do these boxes have trouble with on demand? I just dont get it. 

The majority of the TV I watch is on demand and this is a dealbreaker unless I can sort it out...

Thanks. 

0 Likes
Re: On Demand skipping
PJL
Master - Level 3
Our On Demand is flawless.  Suggest you contact Verizon and report your problem. 
0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

On Demand is working okay for my family.

I know in the past when we had issues with VOD, it would usually take recycling the power of the Actiontec router to fix it.  I think the latest firmware release has help with the STB's stability with VOD service since I haven't had the need to reset the router this past month.

Could be that your router is just bad and you need a replacement.  Do you have multiple STBs?  Have you tried on another TV in the house?  If it skips with all of your TVs, then I would lay blame on the router.  If it works fine on all other TVs, then I would lay blame on that particular STB.

I would call support.  Keep in mind they will probably have you unplug this, reset that... stuff you have already done personally.  But it's all part of their standard troubleshooting, so just be patient.  Hopefully they will figure out the culprit, and if they don't, then see if they can refund some of your money since one of their biggest advertised services is not working for you.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I don't watch VOD very much, but I did watch a movie yesterday afternoon on Showtime (in HD) and it was perfect, I don't remember a single skip or pixelation occurance, and it was most definitely not blurry. I too have a 6416 DVR. And no, for the whole time I have had this DVR, 3 1/2 years, it has not had any VOD problems.

Since you mention the video is blurry, are you watching SD VOD? Out of curiosity I just started an SD VOD and it is pretty much the same as watching live SD channels, and not all that great on an HD LCD TV (never is, although much better with the latest IMG).

VOD does come through the router, unlike live TV, what router do you have? Have you made any changes in the router setup that might affect this (I don't know what these settings might be)? Where are you located (maybe it is a local problem)? Do you have the Multi-Room feature on the DVR, and maybe watching on a TV in another room? (just trying to get more detail on your environment)

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1

Tiling and skipping IS generally a cabling or connector issue. However if your not having issues with broadcast channels, only the ON-demand it is likely one of several issues.

1. cable/connecter on the router. This would not affect broadcast channels and only affect VOD. Just becasue the cables are tight and you have reconnected them doesnt mean that the cable is still 100% OK.

2. Could be an issue with the router itself. since the VOD is a MPeg4 data transmisstion via the internet. Try rebooting (powering the router down for 30 seconds and power back up) if that doesnt work, try resetting the router, reset button on the back, hold for 15 seconds and then release and try a vod again.

3. Next contact tech support so they can check and make sure that the vod speeds on the router are correct. If those show as OK, they will likely send someone out to check all the cables/splitters, and router.

4. Another possiblity would be a dirty fiber not getting you all the signal but this is unlikely because if you had this issue you would be seeing intermittant internet connection and other problems with the pic on broadcast channels.

0 Likes