Web access to DVR "Bad Gateway" & "Set-Top Box - 000109658305xxxx. is not responding"
jimarsul1
Enthusiast - Level 2

HELP, level 1 and "chat" tech's could not help in a timely manner and since there are no longer any FIOS tech's at dslreports to assist - outside or rebooting the router and receivers what else can we do to regain access to my DVR (6416-2).  This is a chronic issue that has, in the past, been handled via the techs that monitor the verizon direct forum in 5 minutes.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanx

0 Likes
Re: Web access to DVR "Bad Gateway" & "Set-Top Box - 000109658305xxxx. is not res
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Bad gateway and not responding are usually issues with the routers firewall.

Assuming that you do not have any personal settings on the router (you are using the default settings from Verizon), there are two things I can think of to try.

1st. Try a factory reset on the router. This is the first thing you should try. Always seems to work for my neighbor. Just press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 15 seconds with the router turned on. Wait for it to reboot and your internet to come back on-line. Then power cycle your STB's.

If that doesnt work, log into the router and check to see what firmware your router has. If you have a Gen 1 actiontec router with firmware ending in 10.14.0  there is an issue where that firmware will not let the caller ID on tv nor the remote DVR to work properly. If you have that firmware, you need to roll the firmware back to version  4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3  This will allow the remote DVR to work again.

To do this... Log into the router. Once logged in, click on the "System Monitoring" icon in the top right. This will tell you the firmware version that you are using. If you are using the one that ends in 10.14.0, then go to the "advanced" tab, and click on "firmware restore". That will roll you back to the previous version.

One of those should fix it. If not, you will need to contact tech support.

0 Likes
Re: Web access to DVR "Bad Gateway" & "Set-Top Box - 000109658305xxxx. is not res
jimarsul1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanx, I will try that in the morning when the users are snoozing - And thanx again for the quick response

0 Likes
FiosBilliam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi guys, new here but not new to the Bad Gateway - STB Not responding.

Double check the STB to see if Remote Access is still enabled.  What happens as others have said is the

port forwarding for the DVR STB in the"Firewall Settings" somehow gets disabled, no way to re-enable.  

I have an idea how and why but it doesn't really matter. When all is working I saved off a VZ Router config file. Any time the DVR forward(s) gets blown away I reload my file and it's fixed in 2minutes. May not be the smartest thing

to do but it's worked every time.

Bill

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yeah, good idea. But thats why I suggested the reset. By resetting the router and then rebooting the stb. It will re-enter the forwarding.

Your way will work fine and is what most advanced users will use. Mine is just easier for the novice. Smiley Wink

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The reason the reset works is that the STB is evidently using UPnP to register the port forward for the control channel .   When things get screwed up, resetting the router clears the forwarding rule and then reseting the STB causes it to republish the UPnP request.

What happens when things aren't working is that the port forward somehow ends up pointing to the wrong IP address (STB perhaps changing address?) and at that point when the STB attempts to publish the port forward request, the router finds that one is already in place and refuses to change it to point to the STB.

I've had great success using DHCP address reservation ... essentially, resetting the router and then resetting ALL of the STB's and then getting everything working ... then once working, going into the Advance settings on the router and going to IP Address Distribution and selecting Connection List ... and then locating the address registration for each STB, going into the entry and changing the definition to be "static" so that each STB stays on the same IP address always.

Now, even when things get screwed up, since the rule which is in place in the router always points to the STB which is the DVR, everything continues to work.

0 Likes
Karl_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Hey everyone, I came across this thread and thought it would be a great place to interject and say hello.  My name is Karl and I’m one of the new Verizon techs that will be helping out and providing support in these forums.  Thank you to spacedebris for providing a great answer to your question.  If the problems are not resolved with what’s already been suggested, please respond back to this topic and we can take care of you from there.  Thanks -- Karl

0 Likes
FiosBilliam
Enthusiast - Level 3

space,

does reseting and rebooting the router, wipe all the "configurations" that some of us add? Just curious. I do have some port forwards that I use for house surveillence and music streaming to my cell...

Thanks,

Bill

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, a reset will toss the configuration and you will need to re-add the information.

0 Likes
jimarsul1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanx Karl, the factory reset did not work.  I am still getting initially "Set-Top Box - 0001096583054238 is not responding."  and after refresh "Bad Gateway"  Do you have access to Verizon Direct at DSLreports.com?  If so I can give you my information in a protected venue and you can see what is going on.

Thanx,

Jim

0 Likes