Where Should I Split the coaxial?
Tinios

I just got a small LCD TV as a present and I want to place it in my office area just for QAM channels. My current wiring is as follows:

A coaxial cable comes out of the Optical Network Terminal unit (ONT) and in a few feet there is a 2 way splitter.

One output goes to my FiOS router for internet the other to the set top box / TV.

1. Do I replace the 2 way splitter with a 3 way splitter and use one output for my New TV?  or

2. I add a second 2 way splitter off the output of the first splitter going to the set top box / TV ?

3. Some Other way?

Any suggestions of which is the better choice?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Where Should I Split the coaxial?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Either way (1 or 2) will work. 

The better choice is to get a 3-way 1 GHz (1000 MHz)  rated splitter and replace your existing 2-way.  "Home run" connections are always the best option.

Keep in mind that the only channels you will receive are your local broadcast channels and the PEG channels.  All the channels are QAM, but only those are not encrypted.

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Either way (1 or 2) will work. 

The better choice is to get a 3-way 1 GHz (1000 MHz)  rated splitter and replace your existing 2-way.  "Home run" connections are always the best option.

Keep in mind that the only channels you will receive are your local broadcast channels and the PEG channels.  All the channels are QAM, but only those are not encrypted.

Tinios

I used a 3 way splitter, as you suggested,  and works fine.

Thanks.

0 Likes