noticed some shortcuts being taken now for installs
exlieut
Contributor - Level 1

My neighbor is having fios installed today. Two things I noticed:

1. The fiber is no longer being installed underground in inner-duct.(orange plastic pipe) I live in Penna. and since the ground here freezes and thaws I can see the fiber in this cable being broken sometime in the future. The ground will move up and down as it freezes and thaws.

2. I noticed the technician ran the coax wires pretty much in the same hole the electric feeds the house. I've worked with CCTV for 20yrs one thing you never do is run coax right next to A.C.

My house was done with the inner duct in a hole 18-20" deep. I sure hope these shortcuts are not the future for Verizon.Smiley Mad

I've seen Comcast just lay coax across the ground for a fix.(it's still there 1yr later)

0 Likes
Re: noticed some shortcuts being taken now for installs
PJL
Master - Level 3

Did a Verizon employee do the install you describe, or was it a contractor?  For our neighborhood, this part of the install was done by a third-party subcontractor.  They installed the fiber line to the house from the fiber node, and then Verizon did the ONT and in-house install.  If it's a sub, they may not be doing it according to Verizon standards, but doing it the quick and easy way.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Also remember that this is a winter install. I know that in some area's ( I think its DE and north but not sure on the exact) they stop digging in the yards in November and dont start again until sometime around April. They dont dig after the ground has frozen for the first time. In many area's they will lay a temporary line and then come back next spring and lay the permanent line. I have a friend in MA that this happened to a couple of years ago. Was a Thanksgiving install and the line wasnt finally buried until May of the following year. After the ground defrosted and there was no more forecast for any freezing weather, Verizon made arrangements to come out and burry the cable properly.

Could this be what is happening with your neighbor?

0 Likes
exlieut
Contributor - Level 1

No they buried the fiber after shoveling around 12" snow. But the fiber is just directly buried in the ground. I do not know how deep but why would you stop using the protective inner-duct they use to use? That's my big observation for what it is worth.

0 Likes