Congress Moves to Strike Internet Privacy Rules From Obama Era
HarryVederci
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am obsessive-compulsive about internet privacy and the new bill before Congress will allow internet providers to not only harvest my private internet data but also share/sell it.  Yeah Republicans! 

So I pose the question, will Verizon have an opt out option for sharing my internet data?  In fact, I feel that the default should be not to share my data with an opt-in for **bleep** to allow data sharing. 

This is another attempt by the government to allow intrusion into our privacy.  So much for the claim that Republicans want smaller government and staying out of peoples lives. What a bunch of hypocrites!!!!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Opt Out of information of web browsing how?
fullbodyscammer
Enthusiast - Level 1

"stealth mode"/"do not track"/"incognito mode" do nothing to prevent your information from being viewed by people and computers outside of your local machine. If you open a Chrome tab as Incognito, the splash page even tells you that. It is limited to your local account.

Secondly, the closest I could find to opting out is the following:

-Sign in on verizon.net

-Go to My Verizon->Services->Internet

-Go to My Internet and click "Manage"

-Go to "Change Internet Plan" and click "Manage Online Advertising Preferences"

-Mark the box for "Do Not Participate" and click 'Save'

It claims it'll be a week before it goes into effect. Why it takes a week to remove someone from a list, i'll never know.

View solution in original post

Verizon position on bill to strip privacy from customers of internet service providers
rsfoster
Enthusiast - Level 1
I would be very interested to know Verizon's official corporate position on the bill that is now going through the House of Representatives to strip internet users of privacy. The bill will allow ISPs like Verizon to sell the history of customers' browsing habits to third parties. We have had an expectation of online privacy for decades through section 222 of the Telecommunications Act. This bill completely reverses course by allowing ISPs to monetize customer information and sell customer data for profit. I would like to learn from Verizon what protections you are putting in place for those among your customers who do not wish to have their personal data sold to any parties to whom Verizon wishes to sell it. I find it difficult to believe that Verizon would simply allow this naked financial exploitation of their customers.
0 Likes
Re: Congress Moves to Strike Internet Privacy Rules From Obama Era
rsfoster
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am disgusted that Verizon appears to be rubbing their hands at the prospect of making money from selling private customer data. How despicable, and what utter disregard for the well-being of their customers.

We are going to have to work at the local level to get this fixed, state by state.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon position on bill to strip privacy from customers of internet service providers
HarryVederci
Enthusiast - Level 3

You express my sentiments exactly.  I plan on getting in touch with my local state representative both house and senate.

I have done a small bit of research on this topic and I have found that certain states have passed internet privacy laws.  It would be interesting to note which level of government would have precedence in this sort of situation.  Hell, it could even make it's way all the way up to the Supreme Court of the USA

I will admit that I am anal/compulsive in regards to my privacy and many will readily admit that there is just cause for this.  There is a contract between subscriber and provider, real and implied.  "I give you money, you give me internet".  To unilaterally alter that contract goes against standard business practices not to mention that it invades my privacy.  No one needs to know what sites I visit. 

0 Likes
ISP Internet Privacy
verizoncust22

I do not want my browsing history sold via the potential overturning of the Federal Communications Commission’s 2016 broadband privacy rule.  To whom should I address this query so that my wish is on record .

0 Likes
HEY VERIZON - IF YOU SHARE/SELL MY BROWSING HISTORY- I'LL DISCONTINUE MY CONTRACT!
eagleville7

HEY VERIZON - IF YOU SHARE/SELL MY BROWSING HISTORY...

- I'LL CANCEL MY CONTRACT!

0 Likes
Re: HEY VERIZON - IF YOU SHARE/SELL MY BROWSING HISTORY- I'LL DISCONTINUE MY CONTRACT!
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Seeing as how Congress passed the law, they would be best to complain to.

My guess is that most if not all service providers will take advantage of this revenue stream.

And websites (Google, Yahoo, FB) have been doing this for quite a while.

Law was passed saying that its only fair that ISPs have the same rights as websites.

Re: Congress Moves to Strike Internet Privacy Rules From Obama Era
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just some FYI links. Even with the regulations in place, Verizon on the wireless side of things is doing things far more nasty than the FiOS / DSL side of things is doing. To paint a picture: On Verizon Wireless, all of your HTTP traffic is piped through Proxy servers, which are set to inject a personally identifiable HTTP string to each of your reqeusts, which is used by advertisers to identify who you are (even if not uniquely identifiable, advertising firms play Connect the Dots in scary ways!). Additionally, these proxy servers in theory have the ability to log traffic, and they also cache, and do at times manipulate the content seen.

On the DSL/FiOS end of things, Verizon really only does that stupid DNS Assist thing, which directs you to a search partner of Verizon. It can be disabled by following the guide in my second link. Just like the CPNI program on Verizon Wireless, the advertising/search partner will eventually play Connect the Dots to figure out who you are as a web user.

I also remember seeing a preference in the online account settings of MyVerizon, which allow you to opt out of advertising programs as well on the DSL/FiOS side of things. However I can't find a reference to that right now.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/legal/notices/customer-cpni/

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/opt-out-of-dns-assist

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/relevant-mobile-ad/

The above are merely ISP assisted items right now. Verizon is not blatantly selling info about who you are, but they are not exactly innocent either, aiding the cesspool known as online advertising.

A dumb pipe is the best pipe 🙂

0 Likes
Is Verizon selling customer data? Pay the customer a cut of it.
SiuM

Is Verizon selling customer data? Pay the customer a cut of it.

0 Likes
What's Verizon's policy moving forward with user privacy?
velinath

As some of you may know, the U.S. House of Representatives last night voted to roll back broadband privacy protections, allowing ISP's to sell our data and serve us ads directly, among other things. The bill is on its way to the President's desk now.

I'm wondering what Verizon's official policy will be with regards to harvesting and monetizing customer data if this bill passes - preferably with an answer directly from a representative. As a fallback, if anyone can point me in the right direction (phone number? email address?) to get an answer, that'd be appreciated too.

0 Likes