Equipment Upgrade
bleedgreen1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry if this is a repost, but I could not find a topic discussing this ridiculous practice by Verizon. I called Verzion this afternoon because my 2 year agreement had expired and I wanted to explore options. I have been a Verizon Fios subscriber since 2011. As part of the renewal process I asked about getting new set top boxes as the equipment is now 7 years old and due for an upgrade. One of the set top boxes will not even work with the multi room DVR any longer. When I asked about getting new equipment I was informed that would be no problem, but the monthly rental would go up and not by a little. I was advised that I could get similar, replacement, out dated equipment and the monthly rent would stay the same. Let me get this straight . . . I've been paying for this crap equipment for the past 7 years, and I am supposed to keep paying for the crap equipment monthly, and Verizon will never provide an upgrade unless I agree to pay more?! The boxes weren't even new when they were installed. I already pay $30 month for 3 HD boxes. Over the past 7 years I've paid over $2,300 in monthly rent for the current boxes. If I'd bought new boxes they would have been paid off at least 5 years ago. There is something seriously wrong with this policy. Every 2 years Verizon raises the price when I renew and yet the service doesn't get any better . . . just the opposite in fact. I can switch to Altice One and get the same services for less and get brand new equipment. Fios is likely going to lose me as a customer. Has anyone tried to fight this battle? 

Re: Equipment Upgrade
jonjones1
Legend

Normally if you call and select “cancel services” the retention department will try and keep you. They may give you new boxes but I would not sign any contracts but go a month to month. Get it all in a confirmation email. If using a cell phone you could record the conversation. Just in case your order gets placed wrong.

it is best to contact the other provider first and get pricing. Don’t try and threaten to leave unless you actually can because Verizon has been known to call a customers bluff.

if you get what you want from Verizon you stay a customer. If not you go to the other provider as you stated hope it all works out.

0 Likes
Re: Equipment Upgrade
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

BTW, this is pretty common with service providers.

They wil almost always give new customers a better deal that existing.

You may very well find yourself in the same boat with your new provider (if you switch) when that initial contract runs out.

0 Likes