FIOS fiber installation ahead of actual in house installation? And how do they handle ONT install?
pbug56
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS coming to my house in early September 2020.  There is no Verizon infrastructure on or in my house since we dropped their POTS many years ago.  I'm guessing that they have fiber (I'm in a corner house) within a pole or two of the one serving my house.  When does Verizon extend to my pole and then my house?  Will they reach out to me to ensure that the fiber is coming to the right house?

Inside my house I'm leaving space right near where the old POTS terminator boxes were.  Other side of that outside wall is where the electrical meter is, where the old POTS wires used to come to (and then through the wall to the terminators).

Thanks for whatever information you can provide!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS fiber installation ahead of actual in house installation? And how do they handle ONT insta
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The fiber is run to the premise before the customer install day. The work is done by a fiber install technician.  They will connect to a nearby fiber drop as determined by the FiOS engineering department.  You do not need to be home for this work, as it is all outside.  This work will be done several days or maybe even a week or two before your install date.  They do not typically contact customers before this work happens, as it's all done outside.

They will have existing utilities marked before the fiber is installed.  When you see these markings, you know the fiber install will happen soon.  If you have anything you need them avoid, such as underground sprinklers, you should mark those and ask Verizon to make a note on your order.

I've never heard of Verizon installing fiber on the wrong house.

Fiber will likely enter the building near the existing utilities.  Your indoor placement location is likely where the ONT will go.  It needs access power, Ethernet to the router location and coax (if you subscribe to TV).

Re: FIOS fiber installation ahead of actual in house installation? And how do they handle ONT insta
pbug56
Enthusiast - Level 2

The ONT will be near the old POTS term blocks.  I've already setup a UPS for stable power with battery backup.  The painful part will be them having to run phone lines and either coax or ethernet to connect to my internal phone wiring and to the G3100.  Coax for TV runs up the back of the house into the attic as installed years ago by Cablevision.  Another whole thru the outside wall from the ONT to that cable.  

pbug56
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's an update.  The FIOS installer personally checked out the poles, found the nearest hookup the 2nd pole down from our house with a lot of trees between the 2 poles, ran that, then ran it to our house.  He told me that's the process in use, at least here on Long Island (east of NYC).  Then the ONT, cat6 to the computer room, tied into my existing internal phone wiring, connect from the ONT to the RG6 installed years before on the back outside of my house to the attic.  With 6 STB's (causing him to install 2 server STB's and 4 mini, most if not all connecting via MOCA) plus my 2 TIVO's, after he was there about 8 hours except for lunch to request help to get it done.  The TIVO cable cards were difficult - in fact, a few days later, both say they need to be activated, though with one otherwise operating normally, the 2nd missing HBO, Cinemax, most of FX and Fox along with Nat Geo.  Tech support has since tried to fix it remotely with help from an engineer to no avail.  Tech coming with a stack of cablecards on Tuesday.  Long day for the installer!

0 Likes