Horrible Technician and Customer Service
Sel23

My internet stopped working the weekend after I got it installed. I did everything I could think of, resetting the router, turning it on and off, but nothing fixed it. So I called the helpline and spent a while with a rep trying to fix it. Nothing worked. He offered to send out a technician to look into the problem. I was hesitant at first because I'm a college student, I barely had enough income to pay for all my necessities. But there was nothing else I could do to fix it. The rep assured me that if the issue was not on my end, ie if it was an issue with the Verizon box in my apartment building, I would not have to pay for the visit since it was their job to keep it maintained. 

So I agreed because the was the end of May and I needed the internet for classes. Since this was a Sunday, the technician was not available until Wednesday. Fine, no worries. I'll go to a cafe to attend class.

The technician arrives Wednesday and looks over all my wall ports and my router. They were all functioning as expected. So he leaves my apartment to go into the electrical rooms to check all the other connections. Turns out, a line he had installed the week before was in the wrong port. Simple fix; he changed the port. He came back to let me know, I thanked him, and he went on his way. 

My May bill came and was as expected: around $40. 

The next month, my June bill came to a whopping $230. I panicked because there was no way I could afford that. I was in the middle of a lecture so I used the chat help to ask about my charges. The rep I talked to told me I changed my plan from 50/50 to 50/50... I thought I misread but no she said I changed my plan from my original speed to my original speed. 

So if my plan and my speed didn't change, why the upcharge? She said it was because the plan price increased. Okay, that much I can see. But why? She wasn't able to give me an answer. 

I ended up calling the helpline when I finally had the chance in hopes someone else could help me more. The rep I spoke with this time was very helpful and found that when the technician came to fix my internet, he also put me on a 2-year contract. I'm a college student in my last year. I'm moving out of my current place in less than a year. I would've never agreed to this. I live alone so no one else would've authorized this. 

This rep was able to cancel my contract and revert my plan back to the original. 

I called again recently because my plan still had not reverted back to the original, it is better now at $80 but that's still double the original budget I had. The rep who helped me this time was only going to refund me $80 of the $230. I questioned it and she said that the technician charge, $60, could not be refunded. Okay, we can talk about that later but even with the technician charge, my normal bill would've been $100. So I ended up getting a bit more back. 

I asked why the technician fee couldn't be waived or refunded because a) the issue with my internet was not somewhere I had access to and could fix, and b) the technician betrayed my trust and put me on a 2-year contract without my knowledge and I had to struggle to make ends meet because of that. 

She said that if a technician is sent out for anything, I would have to pay. That was news to me since it was completely different from what the original rep told me. She told me that no one could waive the fee now that it was charged. 

I had to scramble to make ends meet after this technician came to my home and I still had to pay for him to come and absolutely betray my trust. 

Overall, really unhappy with this technician and the most recent Verizon rep

0 Likes
Re: Horrible Technician and Customer Service
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My thought is that if a Verizon technician was responsible for an interruption in your service, Verizon should make good and fix the trouble without you incurring a charge. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

the person lied to you. No surprise there. You have to get everything in writing.

file with executive esclations.

use this link it should help you.

https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/leader/contact/916673

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sel23,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes