Is FIOS available to areas where the ....
Sharplaninatz

I want to know if FIOS is available to areas where the telephone poles with the verizon lines are located in the back yards?

Now just to explain  this better in NYC there are areas where there are poles in the street (in front of the houses) that have either electricity, telephone and or cable tv lines. In some areas like mine, the poles in the street have electric power lines and cable tv lines. Then there are poles behind the houses in our back yards that have the verizon telephone lines.

I was told by a verizon tech that it may not be feasible for verizon to put FIOS on the poles that are located in the back yards since there is not "public" access. They have to come on our private property to service/install the lines and or equipment.

Can anyone from verizon confirm this???????????? I have been waiting for FIOS for a long time. I currently have time warner and I hate them. I talked to a verizon rep that was in my area signing up people for FIOS. It seems the streets surrounding my street is getting it very soon but they had no info on my street. Just to clarify there are a number of streets in this area that are in my siuation with the poles in the yards.

Zip Code is: NY 11370

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Is FIOS available to areas where the ....
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Go to the following web page and enter your info and it will tell you if it is available. http://www.verizon.com/home/search.b2c

0 Likes
Sharplaninatz

I know about that web page. I also had the verizon rep I met in the street search for my address. Both come up as not available because they are not installing FIOS on my street. What I need is an actual Verizon employee who understands my situation to look into this and reply.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sharplaninatz wrote:

I want to know if FIOS is available to areas where the telephone poles with the verizon lines are located in the back yards?

Now just to explain  this better in NYC there are areas where there are poles in the street (in front of the houses) that have either electricity, telephone and or cable tv lines. In some areas like mine, the poles in the street have electric power lines and cable tv lines. Then there are poles behind the houses in our back yards that have the verizon telephone lines.

I was told by a verizon tech that it may not be feasible for verizon to put FIOS on the poles that are located in the back yards since there is not "public" access. They have to come on our private property to service/install the lines and or equipment.

Can anyone from verizon confirm this???????????? I have been waiting for FIOS for a long time. I currently have time warner and I hate them. I talked to a verizon rep that was in my area signing up people for FIOS. It seems the streets surrounding my street is getting it very soon but they had no info on my street. Just to clarify there are a number of streets in this area that are in my siuation with the poles in the yards.

Zip Code is: NY 11370

Thanks

At least in NY ridiculous.   The various compaines are granted access even without the property owners permission.  It is true that some owners may make it difficult to access with locked gates, etc.  But they are required to grant access upon request.

Things chance when inside access to a building is required.  Various building owners have been blocking FIOS from installing for apartment owners.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sharplaninatz wrote:

I know about that web page. I also had the verizon rep I met in the street search for my address. Both come up as not available because they are not installing FIOS on my street. What I need is an actual Verizon employee who understands my situation to look into this and reply.

This is a peer-to-peer forum. Verizon employees do not reply to issues here.

Verizon moderators sometimes escalate specific customer service issues such as billing or service problems to support, however your question does not look like one that Verizon support can address.

Your issue may be better addressed by talking with someone versed in easement rights as related to the specific infrastructure and land usage in your area.  You may want to consult with your local elected officials to see if there are any agreements in place or in progress with Verizon.

Good Luck.

Sharplaninatz

OK, thanks.

Verizon already has rights to the poles in our yards. Thats where the verizon telephone lines are. Actually the poles belong to verizon, no other companies have anything on them.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also Verizon was suppose to provide service to the whole city (NYC).  This is where the comment about problems with access to buildings has been a big problem.  Some people think Verizon is trying to back out of some areas of the city, but they are definitely still at work to satisfy their obligations.

0 Likes
Sharplaninatz

I hope they hold up to their end of the promise. I dont see what the big deal is. The can run telephone lines through out back yards on their own poles so why can't they run the FIOS lines?

The pole in my yard is from the 1970's and needs to be replaced or needs some stabilizing wires at the least.

I want FIOS!!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sharplaninatz wrote:

I hope they hold up to their end of the promise. I dont see what the big deal is. The can run telephone lines through out back yards on their own poles so why can't they run the FIOS lines?

That's a question many of us try to ask. Why is FiOS not being expanded when they could clearly continue expansion and do well? Seems the writing is on the wall, and the news is all over the Internet on what the deal is. I've been waiting for 9 years.

0 Likes