Lied to and Charged a Contract Cancellation Fee
dkNY2

I had been a FIOS customer for more than 3 years. I called to discuss my rates, etc. as they had gone up dramatically without any notice that would happen. After being told that I could reduce my bill by removing a few channels (a handful of channels were mentioned that I didn't care about so I agreed), I came home two days later to find out that HBO and SHO were removed without anyone ever telling me. I wasted a lot of time on the phone with the retention dept. only to be told that they would not honor the pricing they had given me and restore those two channels only (again, I didn't care about the ones the rep had actually mentioned on the phone). So, I cancelled my service and returned my equipment. I then received a bill for $350 for cancellation of a 2 year contract I had purportedly entered into. I called to explain that I had been misled about what channels were being removed and that is the only reason I agreed to the new pricing and a new agreement. It was as soon as I found this out (2 days after that call) that I called again to discuss the situation.  It was at that time that I cancelled my service as the rep said she was unable to make any further adjustments.

The rep used channel package names that were completely meaningless to me as they did not list channels and they sent me a confirmation email stating that I agreed to XYZ package (which again – I had no idea what channels were contained in XYZ package vs. ABC package vs. PDQ package).  As with most things these days it seems, Verizon relies on opacity and could care less about making customers happy (even those who have been long term customers). 

Verizon will not get my $350 for this nonsense.  I do not expect that anything I do, any letter I write, any complaint to regulators or consumer groups I register will make any difference in their behavior.  But, I will do all those things anyway.  Beyond the fact that they are part of a small oligopoly, they rely on our collective laziness and silence to continue to abuse consumers.  Someone at Verizon, will waste far more than $350 worth of their time on dealing with me.  I promise.

0 Likes
Re: Lied to and Charged a Contract Cancellation Fee
jonjones1
Legend

If the dkny *by the way that is a registered and copywrited name for Donna Karan NY”

but setting that aside, you can go here http:// www.dps.ny.gov (if you do reside in New York)

they have a toll free number to contact them and an online complaint process.

if you can prove what has transpired they will contact Verizon first to alert them to make contact with you regarding that early termination fee. This agency is excellent for the consumer, give a valid phone number to them so they and Verizon executive escalations can speak to you.

by the way calling is much faster. In some cases you will get called back the same day.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even if you are under contract, you can change the TV package without a cancellation fee.

Go here https://www.verizon.com/home/fiostv/  and you can see all the different packa offerings and what channels they offer.

BTW, I thought I had seen people posting that int he NYC area, premiums may not be offered for free anymore (they were only ever free in NYC)

0 Likes
Voicingmyissue

So sad. Seems right up their alley. 

0 Likes