Old equipment removal needed?
BenderIsGreat34

Hello,

I just moved into a house and there is a Verizon FioS box on the wall in my garage. Looks to be fairly old but still powered on. I am not using Verizon services and want to know if it should be removed or can I just unplug it.

0 Likes
Re: Old equipment removal needed?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) and it technically is the property of Verizon.  If you ever think you'll want FiOS service, you'll need it.  You can simply unplug it if.

If you order FiOS service in the future, they may need to dispatch a tech to make sure it's working and upgrade it, if needed.  If you leave it plugged in a tech visit may not be required.  Since tech visits are limited right now due to COVID-19, you should only unplug it if your certain you wont' be using FiOS until this mess is over.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Although the other responder gave good advice (just leave it) remember verizon owns the ont but not your home or surrounded property.

if you really think it will bother you then call 1-800-VERIZON and tell them to come out and remove any vestige of their company owned property off of your land.

if the refuse simply take it off the wall put in a box and then store it. I did this years ago when our home was being remodeled via taking verizons phone lines and NID off our home. We never used verizon so when they came around 5 years ago to install fios the tech asked what happened to the phone lines and box and I handed him the box from the attic. He said you realize that customers are not supposed to touch the equipment.

i said you do realize that I own this house and land and not verizon. He laughed and said you have a point. Verizon does not own your garage. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

A NID cost a few bucks.  An ONT costs hundreds of dollars.  You don't want to be on the hook for replacing one.   It's Verizon's equipment, most likely installed under a form of utility easement.

If you truly need it removed, contact Verizon.  It may take a while due to COVID-19 restrictions preventing techs from entering homes.

In short, just leave it be.  Unplug it if you like.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Ha ha trust me if the NID or even the ONT is on my home or garage etc. I call first and say remove it. If I get no action, I take it down put it in the box and tough cookies if verizon doesn’t like it. 

they have easement rights to place poles not to attach their equipment on my home without my permission. Try to find any regulation that gives them rights over a homeowner. 

like i said your initial advice was fine, but if verizon does not respond then they have the right to remove it being the property owner.

0 Likes