Outside equipment question
Gidget3800

Hi- New poster here, so if this is the wrong area for my issue, direction to the correct area would be appreciated. I tried to call customer support (several times) but was unable to get through to live help.

I've been with Verizon (fios TV, phone, and internet) for several years now, prior to that I was bundled with Cox Cable. I'm having the exterior of my house painted and would like to remove any boxes, cables, wires, etc. that are no longer needed. There are  two gray boxes attached to the exterior of my house that I believe were used when I had the Cox service. One is a box maked "ARRIS" with a Cox tag (lock?) attached to it, and below it is another box that has Cox markings. 

However, if I follow the cables coming from the Cox boxes, they lead me to the Fios box that is also attached to the outside of my home. Is this standard? Does Fios "piggyback" of of Cox equipment during installation? In other words, if I request that Cox remove their old equipment, will that disrupt my services with Fios?

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Likes
Re: Outside equipment question
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Verizon has their own equipment.

Typically, cable companies don't install any equipment on the outside of your house.

That is because their service is based on coax delivery.

Verizon uses fiber optics to deliver service to your house.

Their should be a box with Verizon label.

It will have a thin black cable either coming from the ground or overhead.

Then there will be coax coming from it feeding TV service.

Should also have phone wires as well.

Look inside your house. There should be a power supply that plugs in that powers Verizon ont.

0 Likes
Gidget3800

Thank you for your reply. I probably didn't explain my issue in the above post.

Having previosly had all of my services with Cox (cable, internet, and phone), there are two gray boxes attached to the outside that cox installed. 

I switched everything over to Verizon Fios so I also have a similar box several yards away that Verizon installed.

The cables coming out of the cox boxes are connected to the Verizon box several yards away. 

It's dark now, but to better explain, I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Thanks again for you reply.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My guess is that the FIOS box runs to the cable that connects to your house via the COX box.

So you might consider running a new cable (if possible) direct from FIOS box to your first splitter.

Phone could be trickier depending on how it is wired up.

If you can open the COX box that would be helpful with pictures.

0 Likes
Gidget3800

Again, thanks for the reply. I was finally able to get in touch with a CS rep that understood my issue. I'm waiting for a call back to set up a service call. 

I was able to attach photos which better illustrate the reason for my original question (and also the reason I'm having my house painted; please don't judge, lol). I want Cox to remove their old equipment, but it looks as though Verizon is "using" it, so it's likely that the removal of the Cox equipment would disconnect my Verizon services- phone, internet, and tv.

The two boxes in the first photo were installed by Cox. The wires go from the lower box, through the upper box, up the side of the house, and take a right turn where they've been stapled to the soffitt. From there, they travel the length of that section of the house (2nd photo), make a couple of turns, head back down the house, and run between the meter box and panel box, ending at the Verizon Box (photo 3).

With all due respect, while I appreciate the advice, I am absolutely not going to open any boxes (one has a voltage caution tag), nor am I going to run any cables. Verizon is responsible for this mess and needs to take care of it asap. When I finally got in touch with customer service, the agent I spoke with was incredulous that a Verizon tech would actaully use another company's equipment. Apparently, that's a huge no-no and against protocol. 

I haven't received a call back yet, but I hope to hear back soon. 

0 Likes
McMac

Did you ever solve these issues?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes