Received bill from CMR Claims department for replacement wire (drop wire)
Ljb2165

We have implemented a new drainage system around the house (called 811 before hand) 

When the cable got cut it was at 1-2" below the ground, I called Verizon Support and they acknowledged that it should have been buried 8" below the ground and a technician came out and replaced it. He said they should come in a couple days to bury it at no charge. 

Two weeks later I receive a bill from the CMR Claims department saying I owed them $186.19. I called Verizon Support and they say I have no amount owed on my bill so they didn't know what I was talking about.

I have taken pictures, and wasted so much time on this. This costs around the same as my regular bill, so it doesn't make sense that I pay for their orignial mistake.

0 Likes
Re: Received bill from CMR Claims department for replacement wire (drop wire)
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ljb2165,

Claims Management Resources (CMR) is a Verizon authorized vendor that provides invoicing services to recover Verizon’s cost to repair damage done to the Company’s facilities. This includes but is not limited to:
• Buried and Aerial lines
• Poles
• Conduit and vehicles
CMR can handle disputes of claims directly, and works with the local field office that performed the repair. If you wish to dispute a CMR claim, you may contact them by phone at 1-800-321-4158 or by email at bswcomplaint@cmrclaims.com.

0 Likes
Ljb2165

Lawrence,

I have contacted them. I was told I wouldn't pay for this buy the Verizon employee, and should not as the wire was not buried at the required depth.  I would pay if it was my mistake, but not when its yours.

0 Likes
Ljb2165

LawrenceC,

Verizon has blame for this as well. Contacting CMR was no help at all.

1. Verizon did not mention any charge for repair of line
  2. Was never presented with a work-order with estimate, never signed off on repair costs
  3. fee on work order is arbitrary, no rate negotiated, no supplies itemized
  4. cable buried above grade in 2" of garden mulch - National Electrical Code (NEC) 830.47 Underground Circuits Entering Buildings states 12" to 18" below grade burial depth for "network-powered broadband communications cables entering buildings"
  5. at no time did any fee or mention of any repair bill appear on the legitimate monthly Verizon invoice.
  6. calling Verizon, their customer support indicated Verizon does not bill outside the monthly billing and suggested this was a scam

Do I have to send a letter CMR disputing the charge based upon the improperly buried cable (negligence) and the unauthorized billing for work.

The facts are that the cable was illegally buried (negligence, Verizon), the work-order estimate was never presented nor signed. I have thus not entered into a contact with CMR and have not assumed the liability for the fees for services rendered.   Multiple public legal opinions agree, no contract, no assumption of liability for fees for service.  CMR's contract may be with Verizon, but it is not with me.

0 Likes
averyrob

Totally agree with you.  The same thing happened to me as well. Drop cable was buried a couple of inches below the surface when the cable was cut.  No special digging just turning over soil to plant flowers. Didn't go any deeper than a few inches. Additionally, I never had this problem with Comcast and I was with them for over 10 years before trying FIOS.  I called the Verizon rep and she said the exact same thing that it had nothing to do with them and that there is no bill I had to pay to CMR.  The NEC code you noted has been upgraded to include fiber optic cables etc. in which I was told that, that standard only covered cables that injected some sort of power.

I'm planning on taking this issue up to my legislator because there are soo many people having this problem only because Verizon didn't take the time to bury their drop cables at the appropriate depth. I see hundreds of complaints on this issue so I know it will get some traction once we start engaging. Thanks for posting

0 Likes