Rotten pole
pstiegman1

I have a very old joint use pole on my property.  It is tagged NYT 45.  Any chance on getting it replaced?  On Sunset Drive in Lockport NY.

0 Likes
Re: Rotten pole
jonjones1
Legend

@pstiegman wrote:

I have a very old joint use pole on my property.  It is tagged NYT 45.  Any chance on getting it replaced?  On Sunset Drive in Lockport NY.

Call the NYS Public Service Commission from this website

http://www.dps.ny.gov

mention the fact Verizon charges customers a gazillion dollars to move poles etc each month but give no way to have contact to have the poles moved or removed.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

In most areas, the pole owner comes out peridoically and tests the integrity of their poles.

Unless pole is visibly rotten or structurally unsound, doubt they will do anything.

There is a pole at the edge of my backyard that has been there for more than 30 years I have been. Still is in good shape.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

In most areas, the pole owner comes out peridoically and tests the integrity of their poles.

Unless pole is visibly rotten or structurally unsound, doubt they will do anything.

There is a pole at the edge of my backyard that has been there for more than 30 years I have been. Still is in good shape.

Lord forbid having just received 30+ million dollars each month, let’s not replace a telephone pole before it falls. Crazy

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

And if everyone wants their poles replaced?

And where do you get $30M/month? Even at $5/account, that would mean 5M accounts. That is the total number of all Verizon subscribers.

Here is their explanation:

This surcharge Verizon claims is to recover a portion of the expenses Verizon incurs for the relocation of its facilities that are in the public rights-of-way to prevent interference with streetrepairs, public construction projects or other activities required for public health, safety or convenience.

Here is info from a filing:

New York common law generally requires a utility to relocate, at its own cost, facilities that are in public rights-of-way if such relocation is necessary to prevent interference with street repairs, public construction projects, or other activities required for the public health or convenience. In 2012 Verizon New York Inc. ("Verizon") incurred costs of over $90 million for such facilities relocation work in the State, and those costs are expected to increase to over $100 million in 2013. That was calculated to be $31+/line/year (or $2.50/month) And that was 5 years ago. I'm sure subscriber counts have continued to drop.

Yes, we all hate paying taxes and fees. But it certainly seems as though Verizon is incurring expenses within NY they don't have in other areas. And just like the RSNs being different based off costs, Verizon is adding a fee to recover costs rather than making those who aren't covered by the costs from subsidizing those who are.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/MatterManagement/CaseMaster.aspx?MatterCaseNo=13-C-0145&submit=Se...

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/Common/ViewDoc.aspx?DocRefId={A878406C-1751-4DF7-85D0-C6A59976AEB...}

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/Common/ViewDoc.aspx?DocRefId={C8CDB490-4D49-42F5-B037-008E4A2411E...}

Which was denied as a cost of doing business. Via the above link.

then low and behold Verizon realized fiber optics was not copper, and just did a run around the Public Service Commissions denial.

i spoke to the Commission who had an executive contact me within 3 hours stating it was lawful to access it on the fiber, however like the PSC stated when the new contracts and discussions on what is regulated it may be dropped.

verizon is dragging their feet since this is a money maker. The term of this many gazillion or that billion is solely to show how much Verizon is collecting.

the bottom line is there is a surcharge accessed against NY State customers but there is no dedicated phone number to get the poles moved or replaced.

and the real hoot is in upstate New York you don’t see many poles moved due to any construction.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe there is no contact info  because it is clearly stated that it is for public projects. Nothing for private individuals.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

I believe there is no contact info  because it is clearly stated that it is for public projects. Nothing for private individuals.

It makes no difference when a pole must be moved or removed any company or individual must have a contact point. Verizon makes that process a nightmare since there is no place to call to provide the services they are paid millions of dollars for.

yes complaining to the NYS Public Service Commission will get the job done, but wouldn’t you think a company making millions would have a contact number? 

Its just a big money grab. And think about it, how many times have you seen a pole replaced or removed in your area? I never seen one replaced. So again it’s a money grab.

0 Likes