Using the Website to Report Damage to Phone Lines
Bonbahn
Enthusiast - Level 1

There is a gaping hole in the Verizon trouble reporting feature on the Verizon website.  As previously reported in this forum, there is no means to quickly report damage to Verizon equipment (i.e. damaged or downed phone wires from a utility pole to the home) which present a safety hazard in non-outage situations.  There are scores of such incidents, especially when there are downed trees, but Verizon makes it exceedingly difficult to report these incidents.  Why not update the website to allow such phone line damage to be reported, tespecially when it is impossible to get a live person when calling Customer Service?  This is extremely frustrating.  

0 Likes
Re: Using the Website to Report Damage to Phone Lines
jonjones1
Legend

@Bonbahnwrote:

There is a gaping hole in the Verizon trouble reporting feature on the Verizon website.  As previously reported in this forum, there is no means to quickly report damage to Verizon equipment (i.e. damaged or downed phone wires from a utility pole to the home) which present a safety hazard in non-outage situations.  There are scores of such incidents, especially when there are downed trees, but Verizon makes it exceedingly difficult to report these incidents.  Why not update the website to allow such phone line damage to be reported, tespecially when it is impossible to get a live person when calling Customer Service?  This is extremely frustrating.  

Nope that would be too easy. You are better calling your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission or even your states Attorney Generals Office to make sure it’s taken care of.

Where to report tree's on lines - why is Verizon so behind the times?
Markmyword1

I am a fios customer. So like many after the recent wind storm we have some trees that are leaning against the lines behind our house.  BGE, our local utilities, said they are most likely Verizon lines...possibly Comcast.  I come to Verizon to report but there is no easy way to report line issues.  I was on hold with verizon but gave up.  

I then go to the comcast/xfinity website.  Initiate a chat, report the issue, get a ticket submitted along with a time that I will be contacted by.  Total time...5 minutes.

I don't understand why Fios/Verizon doesn't have the same service...or a simple dropdown on a submission ticket that is for Line Issues.  I assume they don't want a crew to have to replace broken lines.

Makes no sense.

0 Likes
Re: Where to report tree's on lines - why is Verizon so behind the times?
jonjones1
Legend

Sure it makes sense.

charge the customers $2-$3 per month for removing, replacing poles and lines.

then make it as difficult as possible to not report the problem.

then you get to keep the millions you are charging, and then don’t do anything.

simple business 101 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

Sure it makes sense.

simple business 101 

Who is being charged $2-3/month remove polls and lines? Can you show a Verizon initiated charge for that? Certainly none listed on my bill.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauthwrote:

@jonjoneswrote:

Sure it makes sense.

simple business 101 

Who is being charged $2-3/month remove polls and lines? Can you show a Verizon initiated charge for that? Certainly none listed on my bill.

I will tell you what it states on all New York State invoices.

NYS Municipal Construction Surcharge $2.49

it is a bogus surcharge that Verizon was denied on copper service. However the Public Service Commission denied that request, but have no authority as of yet on Verizon charging it on fiber.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

imageFebruary Invoice with SurchargeJust to prove my statement. My name and account number have been removed.

the purpose of this bogus surcharge is to move and repair poles and lines.

you can view the Public Service Commission’s decision on Verizon’s request and their denial on copper. AS A GENERAL COST OF DOING BUSINESS 

via a google search. Or read it here.

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/Common/ViewDoc.aspx?DocRefId=%7BC8CDB490-4D49-42F5-B037-008E4A241...

It has increased from .99¢ to $2.49 for me but higher if you also have Fios tv.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see at a minimum that RCN charges this as well.

https://www.rcn.com/hub/help/understanding-taxes/new-york-taxes/

And I have to think that somewhere along the line PSC had approved it.

If not, why hasn't either PSC fined them or there be a massive class action lawsuit to have this removed and refunded?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jonjoneswrote:

imageFebruary Invoice with SurchargeJust to prove my statement. My name and account number have been removed.

the purpose of this bogus surcharge is to move and repair poles and lines.

you can view the Public Service Commission’s decision on Verizon’s request and their denial on copper. AS A GENERAL COST OF DOING BUSINESS 

via a google search. Or read it here.

http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/Common/ViewDoc.aspx?DocRefId=%7BC8CDB490-4D49-42F5-B037-008E4A241...

It has increased from .99¢ to $2.49 for me but higher if you also have Fios tv.

And read here. http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/MatterManagement/CaseMaster.aspx?MatterCaseNo=13-C-0145&submit=Se...

It was not even meant to be applied outside NYC 

the PSC will be holding a hearing so they tell me. I filed a formal complaint when I first seen it on my invoice. Spoke with Verizon Corporate who told me they will stop collecting the surcharge after the PSC tells them to.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauthwrote:

I see at a minimum that RCN charges this as well.

https://www.rcn.com/hub/help/understanding-taxes/new-york-taxes/

And I have to think that somewhere along the line PSC had approved it.

If not, why hasn't either PSC fined them or there be a massive class action lawsuit to have this removed and refunded?

It is like many companies today that keep charging and charging and adding on my bogus fees and surcharges and customers leave every year. But it continues.

charter formally Time Warner does not charge that Municipal Construction Surcharge.

the Public Service Commission will eventually get around to stopping the surcharge when their discussions on what they will be regulating is signed. So said the lady at the PSC when I filed my written complaint. Verizon will keep the money up to the time they are told to cease. Doubtful any Class will be applied. 

But keep in mind what you are dealing with. Shameful 

0 Likes