Verizon running credit checks without permission
farrock02
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello I just signed up for new service. During the process i "unchecked" the box to allow Verizon to run a credit check. I seen the message about maybe having the leave a deposit, that I was fine with. The system ran a credit check anyway , which generated a hard inquiry that I was trying to avoid. Can you please tell me the process to have this removed?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon running credit checks without permission
jonjones1
Legend

You can’t. Although you may have stated not to run a credit check verizon and others still do as a business practice. You could try contacting the credit bureaus and ask them to remove it. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're talking mostly to other users here.  If you want to reach Verizon, you'll need to call them, use chat or use @VerizonSupport on Twitter.

As other users have noted on this and your other thread, it is likely to be very difficult to remove the hard pull as it is designed to be just that - hard.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
farrock02
Enthusiast - Level 2

"you can't" is an completely incorrect statement . Verizon or any other company cannot run your credit without permission. My credit was ran do to a system issue , where the system didn't realize I opted to not have my credit ran. 

I reached out the credit verification at Verizon ( very rude person on the phone) and it seems like they know this issue is happening. She started some type of ticket and I am waiting on the response. 

I also disputed it with the credit bureau for good measure. 

BTW this hard inquiry didnt change my credit score at all , but I just don't want it there 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Again my statement was 100% correct. You cannot do anything about the credit check. Be it hard (initial) or soft (consumer updates) 

verizon may be telling you it’s a glitch but it is not. They can grep your credit profile just with your name and address, or through a request for service. The credit bureau will in most cases not remove a legitimate hard pull. Even if you took the “I don’t want a credit check, I will pay a deposit instead option” verizon has been known to pull the data anyway and in some instances charged a deposit anyway. Google it, I kid you not.

once you file a dispute with a credit bureau they will be told by Verizon they did it because you initiated a request for service. That’s all the three bureaus need to verify the request for the hard pull. 

a year ago my credit monitoring service had an update saying I work at a education organization I immediately filed a dispute with the bureau. After 24 hours it was removed as a mistake. So situations are different but at least you are trying.

oh I forgot if you lock your three credit bureau files, no vendor can do a pull. Close up the bureau file.

best of luck

Mady11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can u know please hiw do you clise the bureau profile?!and is there any problems for that?! Thank you 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/how-to-lock-credit/

your credit lock only makes it so companies not having a business relationship with you from accessing your credit file(s) the link above should be able to assist you.

companies that you have mortgage or rent, credit cards, student or personal loans still can access your file. Just new inquiries are affected.

it does not remove or disallow the creditors to post late payments or charge offs or judgments. They would still be legitimate. And if you do want to apply for credit you must temporarily unfreeze the credit file. Some credit bureaus are slower on turning it on and off. Some allow an app to turn it on and off.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Plus there may be a charge for locking and unlocking.

farrock02
Enthusiast - Level 2

No companies are "allowed" to do a hard inquiry without permission. Maybe Verizon is doing it anyway or there is a glitch in the site. I dont understand how you keep referring it as an "legitimate" inquiry if my saying it not and didnt approve  it on "my" credit profile.

Yes I know getting it removed is going to be a headache , but im a pretty persistent person. It will be removed I just need time. 

It didn't change my 806 credit score at all , its just the principle of it all .

Also I see that youre a "gold contributor VII" and glad that youre trying to help other, but in this situation your "matter of fact" comments are ugly and completely incorrect. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Did you see my reply to your post below? 
I am not advocating the hard credit pull from Verizon. I am pointing out that it’s done by them even if you say on signing up for service you will forgo the credit check and pay a deposit. This is why I said check it on the web through a google search.

there are other web sites that will attest to verizon doing hard credit check without customer approvals. However a credit reporting agency will be told by their customer (Verizon) that the initial request for service gives them that right. You say you gave them no permission they say you did. 

and yes it’s the consumer that has to get the mess all straighten out. You can barely get verizon on the phone for tech support without waiting hours so getting even the right department to get the hard pull remove will be a tiresome task.

0 Likes