Google RCS on Pixel 2 XL
Orion6284
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since I swapped from Sprint back to Verizon I lost the ability to connect to Chat Features (Google RCS) on my Pixel 2 XL.  My wife's Pixel 3 connected just fine.  Speaking with technical support there is a feature that they can enable called "Google RCS for Pixel 3". The Verizon support was able to find this by comparing my wife's phone (pixel 3) and mine (pixel 2). I asked if there was a bypass and she said she would ask Tech Support. After waiting about 15 minutes she stated that the only devices that are supported right now (and as of oct 2019) were the pixel 3 (including variants) and Samsung S9/9+.  I do know of people reporting that they have Chat Features working on other devices so my guess is its hit and miss.

I have tried all of the troubleshooting help on the google pages and nothing has worked.  I have reached out to Google and they are saying its a Verizon issue.  Even buying a newer phone wont fix this issue.  I commented that if I owned the new Pixel 4 that it probably wouldn't work either and she stated the Google RCS feature is only available for the 2 devices.

Anyone from the community or representative have any different solutions for this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Google RCS on Pixel 2 XL
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

In doing some research, I have found the following method to get Google RCS to work on your Pixel 2XL.

How to enable RCS messaging on your phone
  1. If you haven't already, download Google's Messages app.
  2. Once installed, open the Messages app.
  3. Tap the settings button (three vertical dots) on the top-right of the app.
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. Tap Chat features.
  6. If the Enable chat features toggle is turned off, turn it on by tapping it once.

NoahS_VZW

0 Likes
Orion6284
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried the solution below but I am still stuck at "Setting up...." Trying to Verify Your Phone number.  I have also followed all the troubleshooting steps on Google's Chat Features page (Link below)

https://support.google.com/messages/answer/9487020?hl=en

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sure thing! What exactly happens when you say it is stuck? How long has the device been stuck for? 

0 Likes
Orion6284
Enthusiast - Level 2

The menu stays setting up. Trying to verify my number. 

Screenshot 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you, Orion6284. When it goes to verify your number, does it get an error message, or does it time out?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
Orion6284
Enthusiast - Level 2

No error message it just stays at verifying. The button for retry comes up again. I press it but nothing changes. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information provided, Orion6284. In your screenshot, I noticed you are currently connected to Wi-Fi. Can you disable Wi-Fi to allow your device to verify the number using the mobile network? Keep us updated. 

0 Likes
Orion6284
Enthusiast - Level 2

I turned off the Wi-Fi and pressed retry twice over a 15 minute span and no change. 

https://imgur.com/a/CIyoPTs

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you, Orion6284. Let's try something.Close the Message app then go to Settings, then Apps. Then go to Messages and then go to Storage, then Clear Data. Then go back to the Message app and try setting up RCS.

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes