How Do I Get Notification Counters & Battery Meter Icon ?
pesselman
Enthusiast - Level 2

My old Motorola Android phone had a notification counter attached to the corresponding app on the home screen to register all incoming unanswered new e-mails and for new unanswered text messages. Can this be accomplished with the new pixel phone?  This is a great feature.

Is there a way to have a  numerical battery meter located as a widget on the home screen

( the one for use as an option for the notification screen in the battery icon is way too small to read )

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Notification Counters & Battery Meter Icon
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

For texts, if you are using the Verizon Messages+ app, you add the WIDGET to the homescreen, rather than the app icon.  The look the same, but the widget gives you an unread count.

I use K-9 mail, and it also needs the widget to get the unread count.  You can get it for each of the emails separately, or for the unified inbox - I have several of the "widgets", each assigned to a different email.  If you only have one email, it will give you the count for that mailbox.

I'm enjoying the Pixel - I hope you can get it configured to work for you.  If the features aren't "native", I'm sure there's an app that can do what you want!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

For texts, if you are using the Verizon Messages+ app, you add the WIDGET to the homescreen, rather than the app icon.  The look the same, but the widget gives you an unread count.

I use K-9 mail, and it also needs the widget to get the unread count.  You can get it for each of the emails separately, or for the unified inbox - I have several of the "widgets", each assigned to a different email.  If you only have one email, it will give you the count for that mailbox.

I'm enjoying the Pixel - I hope you can get it configured to work for you.  If the features aren't "native", I'm sure there's an app that can do what you want!

0 Likes
pesselman
Enthusiast - Level 2

SuzyQ      Thanks you for your answers

Installed Verizon Messages+ per your instructions and it works perfectly as I wanted it to.

I am having problems installing the K-9 mail.

1) I installed  the app as instructed

2) I am running into problems in the next phase...went to my widgets and K-9 Mail has 2 items to choose from     one called K-9 Accounts and one called K-9 Unread

I have 3 e-mail accounts and would like to have 3 different widgets on my home screen (each one tagged with a different account name that I assign to it).

I dragged the K-9 Unread to my home screen and tried to use the settings to set it up. I have the correct Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server information from my service provider. I tried both POP3 and IMAP settings and all the different combinations.

I must be doing something wrong.

PLEASE HELP    can you walk thru the necessary steps?

Thanks again for all your help

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use the k-9 app (not the widget, the actual app) to set up your 3 email accounts (I currently have 7 -9 mails set up!)  Get all three working - I have proprietary domain email - who is your service provider?  Do they have an email app?  If the domain is custom, as mine is, I typed in the email address, the password, chose IMAP or POP (one would only work with the POP setting, although I tried with IMAP and I had settings for it... I may play with it some more).  The username only contained the initial part of the email address, I had to type in the @custom.com part.

Sometimes I got a warning the certificate didn't match; I accepted that since the custom domain used the hosting company's server, and that didn't match my domain name.  I knew the certificate that came up was a valid certificate.

Once the email is configured in the k-9 app, THEN go to the widgets and pull in the Unread one - it will ask which mailbox - tap it and name it (if you haven't) and it will show you only THAT mailbox.  Repeat by adding the widget again for each mailbox.  As I said, I 've now got 7, and I can see which one has mail to read and how much. 

pesselman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am still having difficulty in setting up my e-mails. I have tried many different times. The problem I am running into is my phone can not sync with the way I am setting it up. Phone claims it is "Syncing Disabled"  "Unable to connect to server"  or it claims the   "Handshake failed".

Question: what setting (s) do I change for the server ( is it located in my settings from factory Google Pixel phone or is it the settings located in the K-9 app?

Side Note:   I successfully set up my 3 e-mail accounts using the g-mail M app that was installed from the factory on the phone having created 3 separate icons on my home screen so I know my incoming and outgoing server addresses are correct but these apps do not have the notifications counter feature that I would like.

any more suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The incoming and outgoing mail servers are set up within the K-9 app.  If you were able to successfully get them set up in the Gmail app, the use the same settings and parameters in K-9.  Once they are set up and "polling" on the schedule you set, you can remove that account from Gmail.

0 Likes
pesselman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Again thanks for you trying to help me but I knew in & out servers are set up in K-9 app. That is my exactly my problem I followed the same settings I used in the G-mail app for use with the K-9 app but still K-9 will not sync with my e-mail accounts. I have tried uninstalling the K-9 app and reinstalling several different times.

Suzy,  any chance you calling me and walking me thru the set up?

located in Cleveland, Oh     [Removed]

Jack

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

We can do this via DM - I've sent a request to follow you - accept it and then we can send Direct (Private) messages through the community, it's almost as quick as text messaging.

0 Likes