No 5g on the pixel 5
KOTC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got my pixel 5 two weeks ago and no 5g service on the phone....i am in a 5g nationwide area...i keep hearing about some update coming but nothing has come thru yet. You pay for a 5g phone they should be working on a 5g network out of the box with no problems. Where is the 5g on the pixel 5 verizon ???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No 5g on the pixel 5
KOTC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally got the update today 11/16/20 and the 5G icon is lit up šŸ‘

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

@KOTC wrote:

Got my pixel 5 two weeks ago and no 5g service on the phone....i am in a 5g nationwide area...i keep hearing about some update coming but nothing has come thru yet. You pay for a 5g phone they should be working on a 5g network out of the box with no problems. Where is the 5g on the pixel 5 verizon ???

Based on what I have read the Verizon Pixel 5 and 4a5G don't have 5G Nationwide support yet, only the mmWave 5G in certain areas.  The November Android security patch is supposed to enable nationwide.  It was originally delayed for Verizon Pixel 5 phones until 9 November.  And now that update is delayed until the week of 16 November according to the Pixel update page.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/80591482?hl=en

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to make sure that you start enjoying the benefits of our 5G network with your new device. We will be more than happy to help. At this moment, we would like to ask you to please update all apps on your device and its software. Also, do you see any changes with your signal at different locations?
GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

@geovannj_vzw   This has nothing to do with App updates or signal strength.  Verizon and Google both posted that the November security update for the Pixel 5 and 4a5G was delayed for Verizon phones.  It's delayed so Verizon can enable 5G connectivity in these phones.

0 Likes
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

Be careful what you wish for!!! - - Ask friends/colleagues what has happened to their data speeds on their phones after they were switched over to Verizon's "Nationwide 5g" service.  In most cases, it's slower/worse than your 4G LTE.

And once you get in on your phone, there is absolutely nothing you can do to turn off your "new improved Nationwide 5G" to go back to your faster 4G LTE...  - -  So be careful!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Scott5337, you can learn more about our 5G Nationwide coverage at the link here: http://spr.ly/6602HEoE6

For the time being we have no updated details regarding 5G service on the Google Pixel 5 but was set to be released via a software update on 11/20/2020. Any future software updates will be listed under Google at the link attached here: http://spr.ly/6603HEoEB

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
KOTC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally got the update today 11/16/20 and the 5G icon is lit up šŸ‘

0 Likes
KOTC
Enthusiast - Level 2

the 5g update rolled out today...got my pixel 5 up & running with the 5g icon lit up...check your phone for the november security patch update 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your services should not be dampened by upgrading to 5G Nationwide. If you feel that your service has become less than the nations most reliable, please Private Message us anytime for live agent support. - NicholasS_VZW

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

We received the November update on my wife's Pixel 5 Sunday night.  It does display 5G now, as expected.  Speeds are a little better than 4G LTE.  But that's OK with me, they did not decrease so all is good here.

0 Likes