Pixel 3 mobile hotspot
Philnomad
Enthusiast - Level 2

A bit of background. I've been on the Unlimited plan for several years. For a bit over 2 years I used a Pixel (original) and was able to use the mobile hotspot without problem. Then my Pixel died.

I initially replaced it with a Galaxy S10e. But after a few days returned it and got a Pixel 3. Neither of these phones would allow me to activate/use the mobile hotspot. I would get an "Authentication failed" error. Since the same error appeared on 2 different phones it tells me it's not a hardware problem.

I consulted Verizon staff in store, who couldn't figure out the problem. They initially claimed my plan didn't include mobile hotspot & didn't believe I had been using it for 2 years. They only relented when I showed them my plan details which included mobile hotspot.

I tried Verizon support. Tier I ran me through the standard resets. Escalated to Tier II who did pretty much the same thing. Escalated to their "Network team" who eventually responded that I should turn on WiFi calling. Which proved they either didn't understand the issue or were too busy copy-pasting replies to care (FYI, you can't use WiFi calling & mobile hotspot at the same time. And if I had a WiFi connection available I wouldn't need the hotspot to begin with).

After a little internet searching, I went back to the store & got a new SIM card. Still getting the same error.

I don't have WiFi at my home. So I have relied on the hotspot for my internet connection for these past few years. It is EXTREMELY frustrating not having the hotspot. Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pixel 3 mobile hotspot
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to read that you have not been able to use your Hotspot on your Pixel 3. Are you able to use data on your device? 

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Pixel 3 mobile hotspot
Philnomad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes. I am able to use data, voice, and text. There is a strong signal. I can even stream video to my phone. It is just the mobile hotspot that fails to authenticate.

0 Likes