Pixel 5a not receiving SMS messages.
KurtFreeman76
Enthusiast - Level 1

Pixel 5a arrived last night and I swapped over my LTE sim and was able to get everything to work except the incoming SMS messages. I've been through all the basic steps but can not resolve the issue. Went to my local Verizon store and they told me to wait 24 hours ( didn't seem to know what they were doing). Tried to contact online support but they seem to be down right now. Does anyone else have this issue? Suggestions. 

Labels (1)
Re: Pixel 5a not receiving SMS messages.
SackettsSlave

I have a similar issue except I'm not getting data and phone service either.  My Verizon acct online recognizes I have the sim card in my new pixel 5a but the phone is not connecting to the network.

0 Likes
taccat
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I are having the same problem with SMS messages. Additionally, after going to phone > voicemail > activate visual voicemail - it is stuck saying:
"Activating visual voicemail
You might not receive voicemail notifications until visual voicemail is fully activated. Call voicemail to retrieve new messages until voicemail is activated"

With a link to call voicemail.

I have called voicemail and retrieved saved messages and a new message, but it is still stuck in the "activating" phase.

I wonder if other people with the SMS issue are also having this problem, but just haven't noticed it yet?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning. We are here to help with your device and texting issues. Please tell us a little more, is your device software up to date? What is the texting up you are using for SMS?

~Maria Elena

0 Likes
taccat
Enthusiast - Level 2

All software is up-to-date.

I have tried to use both the built in "Messages" app on android and also the "Message+" app by Verizon from the App Store.

I should note that my sms messages still come into my old phone (as long as it has wi-fi).

The Message+ app has a menu option to "Activate Account". This pops up a loading bar that says, "Please Wait Starting Service" but immediately disappears.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the information. Please turn off Wi-Fi and power off old and new phones. After a minute, power the new device only, test your text messages and let us know how it works.

~Maria Elena

0 Likes
taccat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, that has not seemed to make a difference for me.

I still am not receiving sms to the new phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Where are you located? Do you know if others are having similar issues? -Joel

0 Likes
taccat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in Madison, Wi in the US.

My wife is having the exact same problems (located in the same place).

Based on other community messages, this seems like a frequent problem with Verizon when switching phone - but the Pixel 5a was just released, so there are not many messages about this specific phone.

0 Likes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Count me as having the same problem. Google Support says the Verizon line needs to be partitioned as CDMA-less. But when I ask Verizon to do this it either does not solve the problem or they tell me the "device will not function correctly"; it's already not functioning correctly lol. Other Reddit users have had success changing 5G SIM cards, but again that did not work in my favor.

The Google Store clearly shows that the specs are compatible with Verizon Sub-6 5G.

0 Likes