Pixel 6a unlocked vs Verizon verision
Pattyboypixel

I know there a price difference of $50 but is there a hardware difference as well.

I know you need to pay to use MMwave Ultra 5g ( extra $10 per mounth) but if I buy an unlocked pixel 6a and later decide I want to upgrade my service to MMWaive will the unlocked pixel work?  I would thing not, so is that a hardware ‘thing’ or software?

Thank in advance fro your help

Pat

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pixel 6a unlocked vs Verizon verision
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pattyboypixel, knowing if an unlocked phone is a better option than a Verizon phone is a must. Please review the Benefits and questions before getting an unlocked phone.

https://www.verizon.com/articles/whats-an-unlocked-phone/

Which plan are you wanting to get? 

-Jacob

0 Likes
Nickoakz
Enthusiast - Level 3

An unlocked version, as in bought from a store like Google Store would offer full access to the device, custom software firmware, you name it, you can do it.

A Pixel 6a bought from Verizon or is a Verizon branded IMEI/phone would still be able to access other carriers, but the phone will be restricted to the software provided and the limited software update period. Verizon has no plans as of September 2022 to offer the ability to unlock the bootloader of the phone, so you'll have to expect that a Verizon phone will have the original firmware.

Otherwise, nearly all phone features are available for Pixel devices, regardless if bought from Verizon or Google Store, compared to Samsung phones which may have some features removed from software on Verizon branded phones.

0 Likes
TJCraig1

Also, in the end it doesn't matter. Google lets Verizon get away with knee capping the updates and forcing you to use the trash Verizon software.

You really are better off just getting the Verizon version, or just going to a competitor, since Verizon will just hold up your updates anyway.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello. We understand you. Please send us a direct message to address all your concerns. We will be more than glad to assist you. 

>Soni

0 Likes
TJCraig1

The direct messages are filled with more lies. Google is blaming Verizon, Verizon is blaming Google.

If I take out my Verizon sim and put in an AT&T sim, the update starts immediately. I just tried it. This is because Verizon Wireless will hold your update hostage. It has the entire year for the Pixel 6. They are the last to be updated.

Verizon controls when you get your updates as long as your imei is tied to a Verizon sim. 

Verizon wireless is filled with scumbags. The company is trash. Leave as soon as possible. Do not buy any phone locked to Verizon. 

0 Likes
Think1ng
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to flash Factory images for pixel 6a, but oem unlocking can't be turned on, how?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Think1ng, we totally understand wanting to flash your phone. We apologize, but since we do not support that option with any phone, we do not have any information on how to unlock that feature of the phone. It would be best to contact the manufacturer of the phone.

-Steven

0 Likes
Think1ng
Enthusiast - Level 2

LOL!!! 

I asked Google, they never turn off OEM unlock. It's because your Verizon carrier locked it. It is exclusive. Ridiculous.

0 Likes
Think1ng
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a much needed feature, Google has opened it up so that users can use it when needed (Flash Factory Image is an example). But the network operator turned it off. You are disrespecting the user.

0 Likes