Pixel XL wifi calling not working
dondon11
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have looked at other threads and none seem to fix the issue. 

Under settings:  More; I have selected Wifi calling on. 

in phone app wifi calling is turned on, I have selected to receive calls. 

Data roaming on, preferred network type is LTE/CDMA

My wife's iPhone can make wifi calls but has trouble with texting. 

I am using 7.1.2; but i also tried 8.0 DP3 & DP4.

I am using build version NHG470

I am using a Google Wifi mesh network with three nodes; I have tried IPV6 and IPv4 on my wifi network.  

I tried setting a static IP to my phone. 

I can make a call and it will connect with the other person, but the connection is only for a few seconds to a minute.   I can answer a call, but again only for a few seconds to a minute.   Any ideas on how to fix this?  

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pixel XL wifi calling not working
dondon11
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think i have found the issue and will check when home tonight.   On the google pixel, a few menus do not work the same as on the one you buy from Verizon.   Plus, I guess the software is different. 

I had to key in one of the secret codes to see how my phone is set up.   You dial this sequence and it will enter an hidden menu.

*#*#4636#*#*

select phone info and check if VoLTE and video calling are enabled.  In my case, both were off.  Now the advanced calling is enabled and my wifi calling should work.  My Wifi calling was enabled already but did not work correctly.  

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@DonDon11 Do you have a strong WiFi Signal? I'm curious do you have any other devices that lose signal while connected to WiFi?

JoelD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dondon11
Enthusiast - Level 3

No problem with wfi great signal. Issue is WiFi calling. I can make Skype calls or Google Hangouts calls.  WiFi calling is the issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dondon11, we absolutely understand your concern with this. Is this a recent development or have you not been able to use wifi calling at all on your Pixel? Have you been able to try from more than one wifi network?

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dondon11
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was using my old 3G network extender, but want to switch to WiFi.  My wife's iPhone 6S works okay on Wifi calling at home.  Mine does not.   So it is a new issue since I have not tried wifi calling before on my Pixel XL.  I only have poor Verizon network at home.   Can I force my phone to use wifi somewhere else?  Use Airplane mode or some other way?   

0 Likes
dondon11
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think i have found the issue and will check when home tonight.   On the google pixel, a few menus do not work the same as on the one you buy from Verizon.   Plus, I guess the software is different. 

I had to key in one of the secret codes to see how my phone is set up.   You dial this sequence and it will enter an hidden menu.

*#*#4636#*#*

select phone info and check if VoLTE and video calling are enabled.  In my case, both were off.  Now the advanced calling is enabled and my wifi calling should work.  My Wifi calling was enabled already but did not work correctly.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dondon11, we want to ensure you get WIFI calling working. This is a great indoor solution to make and receive calls. You mentioned you will try to change a few settings to see if it works, have you been able to get this up and running? Also, when trying this are you connected to your network extender? To check please dial #48.

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dondon11
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, it is work now.  It was the menu issue.   Once the menu was fixed i could activate the VoLTE and now it works.   

0 Likes
d0x360
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still doesn't work for me and I tried his method

0 Likes
SuperBillf
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have two Pixel 2 XLs in my home with very little, if any cell service available. Updating to the newest version of Android (Pie) has greatly improved my wifi calling, however it still tries to use the one pathetic little bar of 1X cellular connection whenever it is available. This is because Verizon has disabled our ability in the wifi calling settings to select "wifi preferred". Sure, the option is there, but it will not apply the change and will stay on "mobile preferred". The only way to force it to stay in wifi calling is to turn on airplane mode, which is not really acceptable because I don't always remember to turn it off when I leave the house.

I say we either need that option restored to us, or it needs to be modified so that mobile connection only takes over when it is strong, such as at least 2 bars of 4G (sorry, but 3G call quality just isn't acceptable anymore). I pay for my phone service to work, I expect it to do so whenever possible.