Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 9,544 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Pixel battery draining down even when shutdown and turned off after Android 8.1.0 update.
rodpumas
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why is my battery draining down to 0% even when it was fully charged at 100% when I shutdown my Pixel and turned it off? Turned it back on six hours later and the battery was completely drained down to 0%.

This all started after updating to Android 8.1.0

I have installed the April 5, 2018 security patch.

This is a good phone with plenty of storage, but almost useless now because of the battery problem.

None of my apps are using an excessive amount of battery.

Labels (2)
Re: Pixel battery draining down even when shutdown and turned off after Android 8.1.0 update.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rodpumas, we understand your concern with your battery life. When did you purchase the device? How often do you charge your device?

0 Likes
Re: Pixel battery draining down even when shutdown and turned off after Android 8.1.0 update.
LONGHOLLOW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here, our Pixel is about 6 or 7 months old. In the past few days suddenly this Pixel with a full charge at night and gets turned off shows 0% battery in the morning when we turn it back on. Today the phone shut off suddenly, we turned it back on and it showed 47% battery, then flashed and shut off again. Plugged it in using the Pixel charger in a wall outlet like we ALWAYS do. The Pixel powered on and showed 40% battery remaining.

Something is very wrong with whatever patch that just came through. Now the important question Verizon - WHAT IS THE FIX? 7 months run time for a $700 phone??

LONGHOLLOW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a fix for this issue? This battery is still turning off suddenly after being fully charged. Clearly this is inherent to the update pushed on April 5, 2018.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Software updates are certainly meant to make things better, not worse, LONGHOLLOW. I know how it feels when an update comes through, and then there’s a big problem such as the battery issue you’re facing. You came to the right place for help. A check of the forums didn’t show any tips or tricks on this specific issue, so let’s find out more about what’s happening. I know this thread mentions that apps were reviewed, and not using excessive battery. That’s our first line of focus. To determine if your apps are at issue in any way, please run the phone in safe mode after a full charge. Here’s how to set safe mode: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-207813/ With the phone in safe mode, normal calls, texts, and internet will work. Please run the safe mode as long as possible (I get it, I live my whole life on my phone), but at least as long as it would normally take lately for the phone to shut off on its own. Be sure to keep us posted here with your results.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LONGHOLLOW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Placed the Pixel in safe mode for the day, while we were at it deleted a few apps no longer used. When the Pixel got to 40% battery few minutes ago, I tried taking a picture and like before the phone automatically turns off, it is not a power down either, it shuts down like the battery was disconnected.

Here is the problem - this phone will not turn back on unless it is plugged in, which is ultra inconvenient, and when it does power back on after being plugged in, guess what? Battery shows 40% charge like it did before turning off. Lots of money for a phone that won't stay powered on.

LONGHOLLOW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, Verizon, can you hear me now? Our $700 Pixel is still shutting itself off. Battery was on 26%, and asleep, went to wake it up and guess what? Yep, our $700, 7-month old phone turned off!

The quick responses on how you are standing behind the product is stellar. I did what you asked, and silence.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LONGHOLLOW, We're sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with your phone. We'll continue to troubleshoot your device until the issue is resolved. Keep in mind this is a community forum and not direct message. Therefore, there will be a delay in us responding to you. Please complete the steps listed here: 

http://spr.ly/6586DdBNg

TrinetteW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
linzue93

Experiencing very similar issues. Fully charged phone got rebooted into safe mode. Battery percentage then shows at 16%...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, linzue93. Your phone is a part of your daily life, so I understand your concern about the battery draining. I'm here to help. When did this begin? Have there been any other changes such as new apps? Please check your private messages so we can continue troubleshooting toward a solution.

TracyB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes