Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
***Announcement: Welcome to the new Verizon Community! We have merged our Wireless and Fios Communities to bring you the best place to discuss any Verizon product or service, along with all things tech! We have many new features to discuss with you in the coming weeks, but first we want to make sure that all of you who have been active on either of our communities before are able to log in!

Please see the Announcement in the Announcement section under Information Hub.

WiFi Calling - Verizon's forced "Prefer Mobile" setting causes calls over horrible cell signal
orangesherbet0
Enthusiast

As many, many other people have already pointed out, Verizon has chosen to force a "Prefer Mobile" WiFi setting upon their customers, while other carriers allow the customer to choose. As a result, when there is even a bad (one bar) cellular signal, the phone will NOT use WiFi calling.

I don't want Verizon's technical support to ask me silly questions like "Did you update your phone", "Did you install any programs", etc. This post serves to inform other customers that Verizon has chosen to remove this option, and until Verizon chooses to listen to their customers, WiFi calling will be generally useless (perhaps by design).

In the past, customers have had to use Developer Options to hack into their phones through a command console and manually set this option, as per https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-preferred-wifi-calling-option-verizon-pixel-pixel-xl/

I will try this. In the meantime, you can set Airplane Mode and then enable Wifi.

Labels (2)