why does wi-fi keep dropping
DOUBLR

My phone connects to wi-fi, but then almost immediately drops off and reconnects in a continuous loop, draining my battery.  I have tried forgetting the network and re-logging on, to no avail.  Any suggestions???

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: why does wi-fi keep dropping
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yep.

What form of authentication / security is being used? I use WPA/WPA2 PSK.

Step 1. Reboot the router and then the phone. Is your connection reliable now?

Step 2. Download WiFi Analyzer. Is your WiFi configured on the same channel as another? Is your WiFi signal strength appreciably better than the others in your immediate vicinity.

Step 3: Try using the advanced settings and choosing a static IP address.

I think if you enable Developer Mode, there may be a way to enable a different connection method. Google it.

HTH

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DOUBLR,

Help is here! We want to make sure that you stay connected to wifi at all times. I'm sorry that this is happening. We appreciate the steps you have tried so far. Let's work together to figure this out. Does this happen when you connect to all wifi networks or just one specific wifi network? Do you know if there is any physical or liquid damage to your phone? Please click here http://vz.to/2f5MtWA to perform a device health check. When you are done, please click on any of the areas with a yellow or red exclamation mark, so you can see the suggestions. Please let us know what the results are for the device health check.

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DOUBLR

Yes this happens on all wifi networks.  I went to the Verizon store, and they tried to troubleshoot it, but were unable to correct the problem.

I ran the health check, and there are no issues with connectivity (only minor issues with battery life, etc.)

The phone does not have any damage.

This is also happening on my wife's phone, which is also a pixel xl.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have any issues with connecting to my home wifi network. If it is dropping the connection, I don't notice it as it can switch from the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi signal to the 5 GHz signal.

One thought you might want to check is if your wifi router itself is starting to fail. On a previous phone I was having trouble staying connected to the wifi connection. After troubleshooting I determined my ten year old router wasn't working properly with the newer devices. After I replaced it with a newer router that allows me to setup both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks, I haven't had issues.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the confirmation, DOUBLR. If this is happening on multiple WiFi networks then that is a good indication that the problem stems from your phone. Do you have any third party anti-virus apps downloaded on your phone? If so, check to see if any anti-virus apps did any recent updates.  Also, have you attempted to boot your device into safe mode to see if the issue persists? 

JoeyM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes