Re: HTC One battery life after update to 4.4.2
annaha
Enthusiast - Level 3

I read that report. I mentioned it to HTC and Verizon. They said, "Well,

Europe has different systems than the US." I did not believe that either.

Just another excuse to not take responsibility for these problems.

0 Likes
padlnjones
Enthusiast - Level 2

I really did like the HTC One, until this...

0 Likes
annaha
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really liked it, too until the Kit Kat update killed my phone.

0 Likes
Watercycle
Enthusiast - Level 1

Beg my pardon if these solutions are not helpful to you, but these two temporary fixes have greatly curbed my 4.4.2's battery drain.  Essentially, these two changes are to ensure your phone can go into what android refers to as 'deep sleep mode' when you are not using the phone.

One:

Disable your wifi (I've never gone over a gigabyte despite 4g connections while watching youtube and using the browser)

Two:

-Settings->Data Usage->(top right dot menu)->check 'Restrict background data' (things like weather will not update automatically anymore)

'Restrict background data' must be unchecked to use the Google play store; however, you won't be using the store much in the first place if your phone is dead.

annaha
Enthusiast - Level 3

Even with these "fixes" the battery drains the same. I turned off

background data, WiFi, Bluetooth, I don't use the phone for anything other

than email and phone calls and Facebook Manager. The battery drains faster

than before the update.

0 Likes
padlnjones
Enthusiast - Level 2

THIS WORKED FOR ME:

got an email from HTC support, which I will copy. so far, my battery is back to normal.

I totally understand your concern on this matter with the battery drainage of the phone, and I will be more than glad to assist you.

I ask you to please go to All apps > Settings > Battery or Power, and disable Fast boot. Then, please go to All apps > Settings > Developer options, and enable USB debugging. After doing this, please perform a Cache reset. This process will delete unwanted and temporary files from your phone. It will not mess up your personal files. Just follow the instructions on the attached file.

COPY OF ATTACHED FILE:

1. Power the phone off.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Down button and then while still holding the Volume down, press the Power button as well.  
  3. You will get a menu giving you options such as: Fastboot, Recovery, Clear Storage, and SIMlock
  4. Navigate to “Recovery” using volume buttons, then press power to select.

1. The screen will change to display a phone on its back, with the update symbol above it. Momentarily it will change to an image of a phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark.

1. Press and hold volume up then press the power button for about 3seconds. You will see something very similar to the example shown below.

• e:can’t open /cache/recovery/command

• e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists)
  2. A new screen will give you options like Reboot system now, Wipe Cache partition, and Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

1. Navigate to “Wipe Cache” the volume down button and select with Power.

1. Navigate to “Reboot Phone” with the volume buttons and select with power.

HOPE THIS HELPS ALL Y'ALL (as we say in SC)

85angel

I tried this solution on my HTC One yesterday and thus far it has worked. The battery is lasting longer; the battery is only at 50% after 24 hours in contrast to 4% after 8 hours before the fix. Thanks!

0 Likes
zerofossilfuel
Enthusiast - Level 2

@padinjones - I have a two month old HTC One M7 preloaded with Kitkat 4.4.2 that received a "baseband" firmware update on Thursday, June 5. Whereas I was getting the advertised 5 days standby time, losing only 2-3% charge on my nightstand overnight, I suddenly had to charge my phone 2-3 times a day and it would drop 55-60% overnight, EVEN IN AIRPLANE MODE!!!

When I called Verizon to complain they seemingly could not get that phone out of my hands fast enough and fedexed a warranty replacement for Saturday AM delivery. To add insult to injury, the phone they sent me was not new and it was DEFECTIVE! Would not read the SIM card! When I called AGAIN to complain they had me try a master reset on my phone. After a day's worth of reloading and configuring all my apps that still did not solve my problem.

YOUR SOLUTION WORKS! Thank you so much for sharing what the (removed) at Verizon cannot seem to figure out. HEY VERIZON, ARE YOU READING THIS???

>>Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service<<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

zerofossilfuel Yes, we are reading your concern and want to make sure you have a phone that works. We're sorry that you have had so many issues with the HTC and that we missed providing you with the steps to fix your phone problem. We are glad that you were able to use our community forum for support. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns about your device. 

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
zerofossilfuel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Then perhaps your tech support can start sharing valid solutions now instead of trying to mask a non-hardware problem by being triggered happy to send out refurbished hardware? I will be very curious to see and track how Verizon handles similar future complaints. We are watching..............