1 coax cable - 2 different routers through splitter - 2 different IP addresses -- Possible?
lirik

Hello,

I currently have a verizon fios internet connection shared with my family through phones/laptops/desktops/etc. I am also starting a home business which requires constant internet usage and because of this I want a seperate line. 

The wiring in my house is a bit weird so I was recommended by a friend to try an alternative method.

So, I'm wondering if the following is possible:

Currently, there is 1 coax running from the basement verizon box up to the second floor to a router. What I would essentially do is have a coax splitter at the second floor which feeds in to the two routers and each having their own verizon account associated with them. One router would have its own IP address for the family and one would be for my business with its own IP address. Seeing how coax has many frequencies, this should be possible but the billing department told me that I would need a second coax cable for a second router. This kind of ruins things completely. 

So, I may have just explained it wrong to the representitive on the phone so I'm wondering if this is possible.

TL;DR Is it possible to have 1 coax cable which has a splitter which then feeds into two routers on two different verizon accounts with two different IP addresses. 

Thank You.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 1 coax cable - 2 different routers through splitter - 2 different IP addresses -- Possible?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You will need a separate ONT unless you have a MDU ONT and a separate coax or ethernet cable from the router back to the ONT. I would just increase the existing router to a higher speed and share it. A lot less money and less complicated.

0 Likes
Re: 1 coax cable - 2 different routers through splitter - 2 different IP addresses -- Possible?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lirik wrote:

Hello,

I currently have a verizon fios internet connection shared with my family through phones/laptops/desktops/etc. I am also starting a home business which requires constant internet usage and because of this I want a seperate line. 

Thank You.

Do you only want the separate line so as to not have the other traffic or do you want it so that you have a different ip address?

You can get a business fios account, that will give you 5 ip addresses.

You can run a second router off your first router and give it a different subnet that is unique for your business traffic.

0 Likes