Actiontec MI424WR - Not using standalone DHCP server on network for wireless
DaClownie
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, short version is... I'm building a local server for my household. It will handle fire sharing and account access for multiple PCs, a LAN minecraft server, some media sharing within the household utilizing Rokus and PCs, as well as being a domain controller (Active Directory, DHCP, and DNS for the network). I've switched over to a 10.1.10.1-255 numbering scheme.

When I wire in a connection, it looks to the DHCP server in the network and receives a number within the 10.1.10.1-255 scope, but when I connect through a wireless connection (mobile device, laptop, etc.) the router assigns it a 192.168.1.1-255 number. I can't seem to find a seperate setting within the Actiontec router to tell it to direct wireless traffic to the DHCP server for IP allocation. Am I missing something?

Thanks

-  Danny

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR - Not using standalone DHCP server on network for wireless
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps you are not connected by wireless to your network, some one elses?

Re: Actiontec MI424WR - Not using standalone DHCP server on network for wireless
DaClownie
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nope, it's connected to my wireless network. All others within range are password protected and I do not have the password for them. That's why I'm so confused on this.

The router's DHCP settings are set to allow the Domain Controller to handle all the IP designation, but it takes over on the wifi, and hands out IPs that are not within the scope of the network, leading me to believe the connection was never passed to the Controller for an IP.

I mean, the simple solution I suppose is to try assigning 192.168.1.* IPs for the network so that when the router takes over on the wifi and hands out an IP it's at least within the range on my the server's DHCP. Should stop it from disallowing internet connection at least. Still, it's a weird issue that'd I'd rather solve than work around.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
Dizzit
Enthusiast - Level 1

Me and you hav­e a very similar setup. Is it possible that you setup address reservations for those MAC addresses in the past before switching over to the new IP scheme?

I don’t have that specific Actiontec product…. Personally, I use Actiontec for router functions only and my layer 3&4 switch for the rest of my network which handles the DHCP functions. I do not allow my servers to handle DHCP. Instead I used address reservations.

I am running 4x HP Proliant G5 servers.

I doubt the Actiontec router is capable of running VLANs…but if it does, maybe that VLAN has a seperate IP scheme (for wifi) lol

0 Likes
DaClownie
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any MAC specific reservations have long since been wiped. When I first encountered this issue happening, I restored the router back it's factory defaults assuming something I had set prior was interfering. After doing all the set up again, giving the network a completely new name and password in the off change the devices were locking themselves in on an IP from the prior credentials, I was left with the same issue, and the designation of 192.168.1.* IPs. Very strange.

I think I'll have to just concede and assign 192 IPs instead. Or, I eliminate the DHCP function from the server and simply leave DNS capability for location networked PCs.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DaClownie wrote:

So, short version is... I'm building a local server for my household. It will handle fire sharing and account access for multiple PCs, a LAN minecraft server, some media sharing within the household utilizing Rokus and PCs, as well as being a domain controller (Active Directory, DHCP, and DNS for the network). I've switched over to a 10.1.10.1-255 numbering scheme.

When I wire in a connection, it looks to the DHCP server in the network and receives a number within the 10.1.10.1-255 scope, but when I connect through a wireless connection (mobile device, laptop, etc.) the router assigns it a 192.168.1.1-255 number. I can't seem to find a seperate setting within the Actiontec router to tell it to direct wireless traffic to the DHCP server for IP allocation. Am I missing something?

Thanks

-  Danny

Where did you make the change to subnet 10.1.0 ?  Presumably your home server is dual homed? and accesses the internet via the nic on the 192.168.1 subnet and the other nic has all your other devices connected to a switch connected the the server 2nd nic on 10.1.0.

Unfortunately your wap is part of the Actiontec router which has the dhcp server still enabled so they will pick up addresses from that subnet.

The simplest solution is for you to connect a wap to your 10.1.0 subnet and use that ssid for wireless access.

0 Likes