Best Router for home network?
zephed666

Hello:

I am a total newbie when it comes to this.  My home is wired entirely with cat6 cable with runs from each room to a gigabit switch box.  Currently I have the M1424WR Rev. F router connected to the switch.  The router is connected to the ONT via a splitter with the coax cable. 

My question:

Is this the best setup to get the most out of my network or should I be connecting the router direct to the ONT with the ethernet port?  Or should I get a different router? 

Thanks for any help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Best Router for home network?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@zephed666 wrote:

... My home is wired entirely with cat6 cable with runs from each room to a gigabit switch box ... I have the M1424WR Rev. F router connected to the switch ... The router is connected to the ONT via a splitter with the coax cable ... Is this the best setup to get the most out of my network ... should I be connecting the router direct to the ONT with the ethernet port? ... should I get a different router? ... 

There are many folks here more expert in networking than I, but in any case ...

Based on what you have written, it seems that you have a textbook setup of high quality.  Assuming you have TV, phone, and Internet provisioned, you should be seeing Gigabit speeds on the network (e.g., 2 green lights on the switch for each station) using the coax feed only.  You did not indicate coax type, but I'm assuming it's at  least RG6.

Unless you want additional complications, your Actiontec "Rev F" should do the job.  However the latest hardware is "Rev I," which may have benefits over the "Rev F."  You can find comparative specifications on this board, DSLReports, etc.  Sit back and enjoy.

0 Likes