Does Verizon Block Port 80
OtagoHarbour
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told by Verizon technical support that Verizon blocks port 80 and one cannot therefore host a web site from home with Verizon.  Is this true?  If so, I see no reason to keep the service.

Labels (1)
Re: Does Verizon Block Port 80
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The last I've checked, Port 80 is wide open on both DSL and FiOS. You just need to port forward to make use of it. It is technically against the ToS to host web servers or any form of server off of your home connection without paying for a Business connection with Static IP, but I've not heard of anyone getting in trouble for doing otherwise.

OtagoHarbour
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply.

@Smith6612 wrote:

The last I've checked, Port 80 is wide open on both DSL and FiOS. You just need to port forward to make use of it. It is technically against the ToS to host web servers or any form of server off of your home connection without paying for a Business connection with Static IP, but I've not heard of anyone getting in trouble for doing otherwise.

I don't have a problem with that.  Seems it would not make sense to try to host a web site with a dynamic IP address although it would be nice to be able to get something up while I am waiting for them to come out and install the business connection.  The problem is that it seems I can never get a consistent answer when I call Verizon.  Do you think the tech. support guy didn't know what he was talking about?  Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.  I wonder how I could get the most accurate answer.

Thanks again,

Peter.

AlfredPoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am not an employee of Verizon, so this response is not official. You may want to contact the company for specifics.

However, if you are talking about a consumer broadband account, I direct you to the Terms of Service which are posted here: http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_policies&id=TOS. Section 4.3 "Restrictions on Use" clearly states the following: "You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server." [My emphasis added]

If the Terms of Service aren't acceptable to you, then I agree that you should not subscribe to the service. If you want to use Verizon broadband services to host a server, I'm sure that they have business accounts available that permit that use.

I certainly can understand your frustration about not being able to do something that would appear to be simple, but I also recommend that people read the contracts for the products and services that they buy. I know that I sometimes hit the "I agree" button without reading the license completely, but if there is a critical feature that you need -- such as commercial use of the product -- then I strongly urge people to read all the details before they commit. It saves everyone a lot of grief and wasted time and money in the long run.

Alfred Poor

The Weekly Feature

OtagoHarbour
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info., Alfred.  Actually I am considering their business package but first want to make sure that I can actually use it to host a web site from my home.  I do not want one fo these services where I have to upload files to some remote host since I am setting up a DMZ with a web layer and application layer.  So I want everything to be on my own computers.  Their business people say that I can do that but I wonder if they understand what I mean.  Maybe they don't or maybe the tech support guy does not know the business package details.  Maybe I could get it on a trial basis to make sure that it works.

Thanks again,

Peter.