Ethernet and Wireless
trotting

I see all my Ethernet connections when I look at the Network from any devices connected via Ethernet.  And I see all my wireless devices when I look at the Network from any devices connected via wireless.  But I am unable to see both on any of my devices.  Why?

Mitchel

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Ethernet and Wireless
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try turning off IGMP proxy.

On some models of the actiontec this is hiddden.

First logon to  your router http://192.168.1.1  Thy try using the jump.  http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

0 Likes
trotting

I set the following to Disabled - shut off the router, all the computers and turned everything back on.  Same condition.  All the wireless devices show al the other wireless devices and all the ethernet devices show the other ethernet devices.  But none show all the all the devices on the network. IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): Disabled

I do not know if this will help, but - when I am on a ethernet device and I open my network connections and select Actiontec -Wireless Broadband Router one of my wireless devices appears there as:

PC Name:MitchelXPS13 
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address:192.168.1.10

When I go to network connections on one of my wireless devices and select the Wireless Broadband Router from my network connections:

The same device MitchelXPS has an address of 192.168.1.4

Mitchel

0 Likes
trotting

Okay.  I've gotten nowhere with the seemless integration of wired devices and wireless devices.  I went back over the forums for suggestions and supposed working solutions all to no avail.  I even called Verizon Tech support - Rod seems like a very nice fellow but had not a clue how to help me.  He was considerate enough to get Actionec on the phone - they too were ignorant of a solution. 

So here is what I did to solve the the problem.  I stopped at Best Buy - bought a Fios switch with 8 ethernet ports.  I also purchased a Netgear 600 router. 

I pulled all the ethernet connections from the Fios Actiontec Router except the one to the ONT.  Next I connected the Net gear to the Fios Router via a ethernet cable.  And next I ran an ethernet line from the Netgear router to the Netgear switch.

Finally, I plugged in all my ethernet devices (7 in all) to the switch. 

Before turning on the new network I disabled  Fios wireless.  Pretty simple to do once you enter the Verizon Router software.

And finally with the Netgear Router handling both the wireless and the wired I see all my devices on any device I happen to be on.  So in the end I use the Fios Router for DHCP only.

Probably worth noting that if you have only three ethernet devices you don't need a switch.  Also, you can probably use a second router rather than the switch but a switch provides more ethernet ports and is less expensive than a router.

0 Likes