Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
FIOS TV
ramsey76
Contributor

Dear Verizon Management

You may want to spend some time looking at the comments concerning the "upgrades" you made to FIOS TV software

Many comments are concerned that the upgrade made service worst

Count how times your customers wrote  " why fix something that was not broken"

  

Labels (1)
Re: FIOS TV
tns
Master

Because many of us reported things we felt were broken, such as not full screen, and info cut off at top and bottom off the guide.

Lots of new features were added as well that they needed or previously promised.  Alright some of the things need more work, and some of these will be fixed in 1.9.1.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV
ramsey76
Contributor

During my 30 years of working at Verizon we tested things before being released.

I guess things have changed.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV
irbrenda
Contributor

Not full screen??? Well I had full screen on all the SD channels before the upgrade and now, no matter what I do and set, I have the black bars top and bottom on those channels.  I do not want to use the # on the remote either.  Never had to.  Doing the SD override changes nothing.  And it's not just my set that cannot be fixed - it's my relatives and my friends with the same complaint. An example is the OWN channel #161.  Always came in full screen.  Not anymore for anyone and there is no HD channel for that.  Is there something I am not seeing to correct this?

Re: FIOS TV
UnnDunn
Contributor

@bonibee wrote:

Not full screen??? Well I had full screen on all the SD channels before the upgrade and now, no matter what I do and set, I have the black bars top and bottom on those channels.  I do not want to use the # on the remote either.  Never had to.  Doing the SD override changes nothing.  And it's not just my set that cannot be fixed - it's my relatives and my friends with the same complaint. An example is the OWN channel #161.  Always came in full screen.  Not anymore for anyone and there is no HD channel for that.  Is there something I am not seeing to correct this?



The reason channels such as OWN have letterbox bars is because they are broadcast that way. There is nothing Verizon can do about that, and it has nothing to do with the 1.9 software. With the proliferation of widescreen HD TV sets, many broadcasters are switching to widescreen broadcasting, which creates letterboxing when viewed on normal sets. Again, there is nothing Verizon can do about that. All they can do is provide a function that allows you to zoom in, thereby eliminating the black bars for you alone, if you wish. That is what the # button does.

Like it or not, that's the reality.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV
irbrenda
Contributor

@UnnDunn wrote:


The reason channels such as OWN have letterbox bars is because they are broadcast that way. There is nothing Verizon can do about that, and it has nothing to do with the 1.9 software. With the proliferation of widescreen HD TV sets, many broadcasters are switching to widescreen broadcasting, which creates letterboxing when viewed on normal sets. Again, there is nothing Verizon can do about that. All they can do is provide a function that allows you to zoom in, thereby eliminating the black bars for you alone, if you wish. That is what the # button does.

Like it or not, that's the reality.


I understand what you are saying.  However, if you read what I wrote, this was NOT the case before the 1.9 upgrade.  I never ever had any black bars on the OWN channel or any other that was broadcasting letterbox.  It happened right at the upgrade.  My question is why?  Something had to change and I cannot get it to be full screen anymore, nor can anyone else I know.  So it's not just me.  I know about the # button.  Never ever ever had to be bothered with it before now....meaning, two days ago!  I've had FIOS for quite awhile and have rarely viewed the SD stations that are available in HD on their respective HD channels. 

And also, my husband watches some sportsmen's channel on #308.  That too suddenly has the bars and he's quite annoyed because that station is not offered in HD either and he never had to screw around resizing. So yes, something changed besides the lovely new guide.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV
UnnDunn
Contributor

@bonibee wrote:

@UnnDunn wrote:


The reason channels such as OWN have letterbox bars is because they are broadcast that way. There is nothing Verizon can do about that, and it has nothing to do with the 1.9 software. With the proliferation of widescreen HD TV sets, many broadcasters are switching to widescreen broadcasting, which creates letterboxing when viewed on normal sets. Again, there is nothing Verizon can do about that. All they can do is provide a function that allows you to zoom in, thereby eliminating the black bars for you alone, if you wish. That is what the # button does.

Like it or not, that's the reality.


I understand what you are saying.  However, if you read what I wrote, this was NOT the case before the 1.9 upgrade.  I never ever had any black bars on the OWN channel or any other that was broadcasting letterbox.  It happened right at the upgrade.  My question is why?  Something had to change and I cannot get it to be full screen anymore, nor can anyone else I know.  So it's not just me.  I know about the # button.  Never ever ever had to be bothered with it before now....meaning, two days ago!  I've had FIOS for quite awhile and have rarely viewed the SD stations that are available in HD on their respective HD channels. 

And also, my husband watches some sportsmen's channel on #308.  That too suddenly has the bars and he's quite annoyed because that station is not offered in HD either and he never had to screw around resizing. So yes, something changed besides the lovely new guide.



It is possible you had the SD Override setting turned on, to 480p, and that you had set your TV to Zoom mode for 480p programming. That would result in you not seeing any black bars even though they were being broadcast. Given that scenario, it's possible that the 1.9 upgrade disabled SD Override setting, which means you are now watching SD content in 1080i, causing your TV to no longer apply the zoom, and causing you to see black bars.

It's a stretch, but it's the only theory I can come up with that explains what you say you are experiencing.

If my theory is correct, the solution would be to re-enable the SD Override setting, which you will find under Video Settings in the Settings menu.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV
irbrenda
Contributor

@UnnDunn wrote:

@bonibee wrote:

@UnnDunn wrote:


The reason channels such as OWN have letterbox bars is because they are broadcast that way. There is nothing Verizon can do about that, and it has nothing to do with the 1.9 software. With the proliferation of widescreen HD TV sets, many broadcasters are switching to widescreen broadcasting, which creates letterboxing when viewed on normal sets. Again, there is nothing Verizon can do about that. All they can do is provide a function that allows you to zoom in, thereby eliminating the black bars for you alone, if you wish. That is what the # button does.

Like it or not, that's the reality.


I understand what you are saying.  However, if you read what I wrote, this was NOT the case before the 1.9 upgrade.  I never ever had any black bars on the OWN channel or any other that was broadcasting letterbox.  It happened right at the upgrade.  My question is why?  Something had to change and I cannot get it to be full screen anymore, nor can anyone else I know.  So it's not just me.  I know about the # button.  Never ever ever had to be bothered with it before now....meaning, two days ago!  I've had FIOS for quite awhile and have rarely viewed the SD stations that are available in HD on their respective HD channels. 

And also, my husband watches some sportsmen's channel on #308.  That too suddenly has the bars and he's quite annoyed because that station is not offered in HD either and he never had to screw around resizing. So yes, something changed besides the lovely new guide.



It is possible you had the SD Override setting turned on, to 480p, and that you had set your TV to Zoom mode for 480p programming. That would result in you not seeing any black bars even though they were being broadcast. Given that scenario, it's possible that the 1.9 upgrade disabled SD Override setting, which means you are now watching SD content in 1080i, causing your TV to no longer apply the zoom, and causing you to see black bars.

It's a stretch, but it's the only theory I can come up with that explains what you say you are experiencing.

If my theory is correct, the solution would be to re-enable the SD Override setting, which you will find under Video Settings in the Settings menu.



I did try to SD Override. Did not change the appearance at all.  In fact, the settings were always set to HD, but I did have the view set to STRETCH which it still is, not zoom which I despise.  People look distorted altogether.  Like I said, it's not just me. It's my friends and my mom's sets too.  Oh, well.  I'll just have to live with it.  TV should be our worst problem in life, huh?

0 Likes