HIGHLY disappointed in performance
TampaRaleigh

I'm trying hard to like this service...  and I do like this service when it works.  UNFORTUNATELY it only works 25% of the time.  "Camera not available" or "Service not available at this time" is the usual message I get when I sign on (or ATTEMPT to sign on) through the mobile app.  Often, the only way that I can get the app to work is by signing out of the account completely, rebooting my phone, and then signing in again.

This is completely unacceptable to me, and unless it's corrected, I will be canceling my service.

I'm very disappointed.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HIGHLY disappointed in performance
shaenn
Contributor - Level 3

I feel your pain my friend. Fortunately, the issues I've had with my HM&C are minor compared to other I see here on the forum. But I'm finding the little bugs in the app and it's is getting annoying. One big issue I have is just the lack of support from Verizon. Just looking at this forum is proof of that. I see posts which go unanswered for weeks. You would think that some tech at Verizon would be assigned to monitor the forums. For a communications company, they really don't know how to communicate.Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Sparkman123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree! It seems like we are all guinea pigs for this product. I had some difficulty getting the system set up but that was minor compared to the frustration I get every time I try to check in on my camera.

First, it should not require so many steps to gain access to the system. Second, I think it should work more than only 20% of the time!

As you said..."I'm trying hard to like this service" I really like the "idea" of it, but I guess because I can't afford to pay thousands of dollars for a state of the art system I should expect to be frustrated and disappointed.

As long as Verizon keeps selling units to people that get frustrated with the service but are too late to return the equipment that's good for thier bottom line.

CorporationsSmiley Mad

0 Likes
shaenn
Contributor - Level 3

I know how frustrating it can be when a system does now work as advertised.  As someone who has been in the computer field for over 33 years, I know how the sales dept can make promises that the tech dept can't deliver on.

Anyway, here are a few things you may want to try before throwing in the towel. I'm going to assume that the mobile device is an iPhone but if not, the same basic steps should apply.

1. Logout of your the Verizon Home Monitoring & Control App.

2. Uninstall the app.

3. Close all open apps.

4. Wait a minute or so (really, count to 100) and reboot the device. On the iPhone, this is done by pressing and holding both the "Home Button" and the "Hold Button" at the same time until the Apple logo appears on the screen, then release the buttons. This will really clear the device and make it ready for a new copy of the app.

See " Anatomy of the Apple iPhone" (
    http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheiphone/ss/Anatomy-Of-Iphone-4.htm) for button layout.

Note: The closing of all apps and rebooting of the iPhone is something I do every night before I go to bed. I don't care what anyone says, it make for a better running iPhone.

5. Now, reinstall the Verizon Home Monitoring & Control App but don't open the app just yet.

6. This next step is optional. Reboot your the Verizon Home Monitoring & Control gateway device. I do this by cutting the power to the gateway. I have a my gateway next to my Verizon router in the attic. The reason for this is so I get better coverage throughout my home and around my property. Since the exterior walls of my home are very thick (it's an old house), I get better coverage going through the wooden roof. And to save trips to the attic, I have my gateway on a remote power switch (WalMart, $11.95). Shut down the gateway for a minute or so (really, count to 100 again), then reconnect the power. Let the gateway cycle through for a few minutes (go make a sandwich).

7. Once the gateway is ready, open the Verizon Home Monitoring & Control App and login.

8. You'll know if the gateway hasn't finished booting if you get your favorite error, " Service not available at this time". Just give it a few minutes and if it is still not working, try rebooting it again.

9. If all your device appear on your app, you should be good to go.

Hopefully, you won't have to go to such extremes again. But all advance systems will start getting a little screwy if they run long enough and it helps to reboot every now and then.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

0 Likes