Hard wire a wireless access point to existing wireless network to extend range
symplman7
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to improve the wireless signal in the back of my home.  Wireless router is in the front currently.  I ran a Cat5 wire from front to back of house.  I'd like to connect an access point via hard wiring to the wireless router.  I bought an Engenius EAP-3660 Wireless Access Point.  My Verizon router is the Westell Ultraline Series3 9100EM. 

Can I connect the two?  If so, what port do I use on the back of the wireless router?  One of the LAN ports or the WAN port?  Any other thoughts are appreciated.  If I can do this in a simpler way, those thoughts are welcome.  Thanks so much! 

Link to Engenius EAP-3660 Wireless Access Point

http://www.engeniustech.com/index.php/business-networking/indoor-access-points-client-bridges/267-hi...

Labels (1)
Re: Hard wire a wireless access point to existing wireless network to extend range
jmcguoirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just checked your link. Yes, this is fairly simple. Set-up new router as an access point. The pdf document on the website is quite informative and walks you through the steps. Remember to connect ethernet cables to the devices using a LAN to LAN. Do not use the WAN on verizon router.

Re: Hard wire a wireless access point to existing wireless network to extend range
uncgolfr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Instead of hardwire, to increase strength, wil a range extender do the same thing? I have the same problem, but don't want to wire it, as it's from an office outside the house, into the house across an open area. Does any wrieless range extender work or is there specific technology - I have a MI424WR Verizon router.

0 Likes