Laptop and Desktop on same router?
shadmaster3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Verizon high speed internet on my desktop and when I got a Laptop and hooked it up, It found my wireless connection in the modem and I thought all was okay,BUT when I am on the internet on the desktop, and sign in on the laptop,it disconnects my desktop connection. What did I do wrong or do I need more equipment like a seperate modem? The modem is westell model 7500 from verizon when I got high speed. Thanks,John

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Laptop and Desktop on same router?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Are both computers setup DHCP?

#2 What is the OS and Version of those computers?

For example Windows XP Home SP3 and a Windows Vista computer.

0 Likes
pramblejambles
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've an XP-HEsp3 desktop & XP-Prosp3 laptop.

(The desktop "Network Places' has a couple dozen unexpected folders).

How do I find to set the DHCP setup ?  The desktop DHCP does have the 'Default Gateway' IP, but not the laptop.

Does the FIOS ActionTec modem also allow file sharing?

PS: I'm also concerned that the desktop AVG & laptop MSE might not play nice.

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@pramblejambles wrote:

I've an XP-HEsp3 desktop & XP-Prosp3 laptop.

(The desktop "Network Places' has a couple dozen unexpected folders).

How do I find to set the DHCP setup ?  The desktop DHCP does have the 'Default Gateway' IP, but not the laptop.

Does the FIOS ActionTec modem also allow file sharing?

PS: I'm also concerned that the desktop AVG & laptop MSE might not play nice.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to share files between both computers, or are you trying to get both computers online simultaneously?

msrtech
Enthusiast - Level 1

You my be running into an IP conflict.  First open a cmd screen on your desktop. You can do this by typing in CMD in the run command off the start key. This will open a black box where you can type in the following command.

ipconfig /all 

this will show you what ip address your desktop is assigned  if DHCP is enabled and all the information related to the ethernet connection, 

Then repeat this on the laptop. If DHCP is off. Both compuetrs could be fighting over the same IP address.