Movies from pc to dvr
macdoo

Is it possible to play movies from my pc on my tv?  I currently have an HD DVR.  I'm not talking about flex view.  I have videos and movies from other non verizon sources.  If so, tell me how please.  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Movies from pc to dvr
AlfredPoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

There's a good workshop on the subject of making connections with your HDTV at http://roomtolearn.verizon.com/sessions/1027, but here's the short information that you need to know. It's easy to connect a PC to just about any HDTV.

If your PC has an HDMI output for its display, just use a standard HDMI cable to connect to an HDMI port on your HDTV. If the PC has a DVI port, that is still a digital connection and you can get a low-cost cable with a DVI connector on one end and an HDMI connector on the other. If your PC only has a standard VGA output (which is an analog connection), your HDTV may have a matching VGA connector that would let you use a standard computer monitor cable. (In general, you'll want to use a VGA cable that is no longer than six feet long.) If the HDTV does not have a VGA connector, you can get an adapter that will convert VGA to component video, but it may be cheaper to buy a different graphics adapter for your computer.

Any of these connections can deliver high definition images to your HDTV. Just make sure the set the display resolution to the native resolution of your television; 1920 by 1080 or 1366 by 768 are the two most common resolutions for HDTVs.

You'll also need to make an audio connection. Most PCs use a mini-stereo plug for the output, but TVs may use either a min-stereo plug or two RCA plugs on its end, so make sure you get the correct plugs on your cable.

If you can't connect the computer directly to the HDTV, you still may be able to show its content on your HDTV. If you have a home network and can make a wired or wireless connection at the HDTV, you can use a network media player to access the movies, music, and photos you have stored on the computers on your home network.

I hope that this helps; let us know if you have other questions about this.

Alfred Poor

mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

go to www.verizon.com/mediamanager ...watch the tutorial video on media manager. once you download/install media manager, you should be all set

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Although Media Manager is good, it does not support all media/video formats. I like Alfred's suggestion. I even have a low cost relatively powerful PC dedicated for my home entertainment setup. It resides on my network and is connected to my HDTV. This allows me to view any files that are setup to be shared on my home network.

There are tons of low cost PCs under $400 that can be used for this. Or a user can upgrade their main PC to some real horsepower and use the older PC at the TV. Yes all cost may mot be in the budget, so use Alfred's suggestion if your PC has two video outputs and clone the output.

If your PC does not have two outputs, you may be able to add a second video card for this purpose. There is the older way of some type of device to switch between monitors. These solutions would require you have a short distance between your PC and TV. Or try the media manger software that supports some formats.

dogwhistler

How would I view movies ie: netflix download from PC to TV? I have fios media manager that allows viewing of my pics on the TV  with out additional wiring. How can I watch a movie that way?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@dogwhistler wrote:

How would I view movies ie: netflix download from PC to TV? I have fios media manager that allows viewing of my pics on the TV  with out additional wiring. How can I watch a movie that way?

No Verizon does not support netfilx. You would need some type of connection from your PC to your TV. You cannot view netflix through a Verizon DVR or STB.

Another solution would be use a network connected Xbox or if your TV has an Ethernet connection and supports Netflix.

I can watch Netflix with my TiVO and Verizon supplied cable card, but after having it for a while, I decided it was not worth it. IMO.

0 Likes