My home has Cat 5E Ethernet Wall outlets and I would like to know how I can utilize them
bnttwnbnt

I have some Ethernet cat 5e wall outlets located in basement of my home and want to know how I can utilize them as part of my home network. Please help.  I recently tried connecting my smart tv to an ethernet jack using a cat 5E ethernet cable and the TV did not detect anything.  Will I have to have verizon come out and "activate" the ethernet wall outlet, or would I have to connect my router (MI424WR) to the jack? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My home has Cat 5E Ethernet Wall outlets and I would like to know how I can utilize them
iluvtechnology1
Contributor - Level 3
0 Likes
Re: My home has Cat 5E Ethernet Wall outlets and I would like to know how I can utilize them
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
scubachris13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought a new condo last year and there were 8 ethernet outlets in our walls.  They cables were feed into a telecom box in one of our closets.  The FIOS tech added ends to 4 of the wires and plugged them directly into the router.  Only 4, because the router only had 4 plugs.  Until this is done you won't have a wired connection.