Non-Approved eSATA drive Issue; STB reboots
skip513
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone experienced this issue with either an approved or non-approved eSATA drive:

While two programs are taping, attempt to watch a third program from the DVR menu.  Works fine for about 5 mins then the STB locks up and reboots.  After reboot the drive is disconnected.  To re-attach the drive you have to power cycle the drive and reboot the STB.

Pretty annoying. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Non-Approved eSATA drive Issue; STB reboots
DonM5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Skip513,

I had the same issue when I connected an external harddrive to my DVR.  The WD Drive i was using was an older spare, but I think the problem was caused by a slow data transfer rate.  I purchased the recommended 1TB Model from WD last week (WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ)  

I'm suppossed to receive it on Thurs.  Will report back more then. 

Don

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@skip513 wrote:

Has anyone experienced this issue with either an approved or non-approved eSATA drive:

While two programs are taping, attempt to watch a third program from the DVR menu.  Works fine for about 5 mins then the STB locks up and reboots.  After reboot the drive is disconnected.  To re-attach the drive you have to power cycle the drive and reboot the STB.

Pretty annoying. 

I have had a simialr issue, except that the external drive is still attached after the reboot.  It has been reported to Verizon (as part of the beta test team) and is supposed to be in que for the next update.

I have found that if you press the POWER button (turn off) the DVR when it freezes (need to do it quickly) you can prevent the reboot and the loss of part of your recordings (QIP7216 DVR with 1TB WD expander - been running since last December).  SInce your behavior is different than mine YMMV.

0 Likes
skip513
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks Don and Keys!

I'll try the power button thing tonight and report back if it saves the reboot.

0 Likes
Fis1
Enthusiast - Level 3

What did you learn?  I am having the same trouble, but not with an older drive.  It's a brand new eSATA enclosure and 2TB HD.

0 Likes