Off-loading recorded programming from DVR to PC
cato12
Enthusiast - Level 1

How can I copy recorded programming from my DVR to my PC? Tried connecting thru RJ45 internet connection to the network, but it didn't come up as a device in the network. 

Labels (1)
Re: Off-loading recorded programming from DVR to PC
AlfredPoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know this for certain, but I expect that you may not be able to copy the program as a file from your DVR even if you can establish a connection. I don't work for Verizon so I don't have access to the details, but I expect that the recording may be encrypted to preserve copyrights.

The only sure way I know to get the program to your PC would be to use a component video output (analog signals don't have a provision for copy protection) from the DVR to a video capture card on your PC that accepts component video.

I am not a lawyer, either, but I believe that making a backup copy for your own personal use may be legal under the Fair Use doctrine. You almost certainly would not have the rights to distribute copies of this program, however, whether it is for sale or even if you give it away for free. If this is what you have in mind, I recommend that you consult a lawyer before distributing the content.

Alfred Poor

The Weekly Feature