Options for 3 router setup - need help with basic concepts
jj991

I am getting a new install today and so dont know yet what FIOS router I will get, but I wanted to ask about the options for a 3 router installation.  I have an older linksys G band router running DDWRT, and a new Asus RT-N66U N band, and want to hook both up in various parts of my house where I have cat 6 which feeds off of the FIOS router. I am just learning about networking and not sure I understand "bridge" mode vs other modes.

If I just live lan cable into the 2d or 3d router nothing happens, right?  Some software settings in the FIOS router need to be changed, correct?

If someone could help me get started in how to understand this, I would appreciate it.  I know there are a hundred posts about various parts of this in the forum but I couldn't find anywhere to understand the steps to figure this out.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Options for 3 router setup - Router and Home Network Options
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@jj99 wrote:

I am getting a new install ...  I wanted to ask about the options for a 3 router installation.  I have an older linksys G band router running DDWRT, and a new Asus RT-N66U N band, and want to hook both up in various parts of my house where I have cat 6 which feeds off of the FIOS router ...

Take a look at this FiOS FAQ on DSLReports:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Here you will find details and step-by-step recipes for all the useful configurations.  Once you decide on the desired features, check various configurations to determine the FiOS-related limitations for each arrangement.

From what you have written, I suspect that many of the advanced features including your particular firmware will not provide too much benefit, since most of the routing chores will be done by the Actiontec.  However Option Eight in the referenced link allows you to use your own router as well as the Actiontec and a third router to maintain all VZ services, yet still take advantage of your other router's advanced features.  Note also that it's the most complicated to set up.

0 Likes
Re: Options for 3 router setup - need help with basic concepts
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 You will get an Actiontec MI424-WR, most probably a rev. I.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is the difference between various FIOS routers

#2 You don't say which Linksys model, or what speed tier you're getting. Some older Linksys models can't handle FIOS speeds.

#3 You don't indicate if you're getting FIOS-TV. There's no problem running your two routers as Wireless Access Points behind the Actiontec.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

#4 If you want to run some other configuration, you should review the trade-offs here:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

0 Likes