QIP 7216 doesn't recognize external hard drive
jnnt29

I purchased one of the recommended hard drives for my DVR once I received the software upgrade to 1.9. I set it up and went into the menu and selected enable more storage and ran through the steps and after the reboot the system doesn't recognize the new drive. Any ideas? Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: QIP 7216 doesn't recognize external hard drive
nascar
Master - Level 1

Don't use the menus. Just power on the DVR and the eSATA drive and then connect it to the DVR.  The DVR should then see you have connected an external drive and reboot and format it for use.

See if that works.

@jnnt29 wrote:

I purchased one of the recommended hard drives for my DVR once I received the software upgrade to 1.9. I set it up and went into the menu and selected enable more storage and ran through the steps and after the reboot the system doesn't recognize the new drive. Any ideas? Thanks

0 Likes
BriLam

I'm actually having this same issue, and no method of powering on and connecting in any order is getting this thing working. I have tried using the menu and the drive is recognized, but once the box restarts, nothing happens.

Any other ideas? I'm dreading having to get on the phone with Verizon.

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
Are you getting any error or acknowledgment you have the drive connected?

BriLam wrote:

I'm actually having this same issue, and no method of powering on and connecting in any order is getting this thing working. I have tried using the menu and the drive is recognized, but once the box restarts, nothing happens.

Any other ideas? I'm dreading having to get on the phone with Verizon.

0 Likes
BriLam

No error whatsoever.

When I go through the menu, it tells me it is activating eSATA, acknowledges it is now activated, I believe, and then says it must restart to finish. I'm not in front of the TV now so I can't give you the exact details. So no error, but no acknowledgement that the drive is connected at any time, either.

0 Likes
BriLam

An update: I called Verizon and they provided me no further support as hard drive accessibility is so new. Why did I even buy this kind of hard drive if Verizon can't fully support it?

Gotta love it...

I was told to try calling Western Digital next. This should be an adventure.

0 Likes
seanwasta
Enthusiast - Level 1

The EXACT thing happened to me. I was just upgraded to version 1.9 this week. I plugged in my Verizon approved Western Digital 1TB hard drive and it didn't do anything. After clicking on "Enable more storage" it told me that my eSATA port was now active and needed a reboot. After the reboot it didn't detect anything. Of course the unit was powered on and plugged in.

ANSWER: Buy a new shielded eSATA cable! I read many posts about the fact that the cables included with the drives were cheap. I didn't think it would work, however that was the fix. I purchased this cable off Amazon for $5 bucks. (See link below) It arrived the next day and I was pleasantly surprised when the DVR immediately recognized the drive and added it to the menu. You don't have to do anything, it auto detected it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ENYXZ6/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

I am now quite happy as I can record over 200 hours of HD content. The new 1.9  menu is slick as well. One awesome thing that was added is a deleted items section or trash can so you can restore deleted shows. Version 1.8 and prior you were out of luck if you deleted the program.

I hope a new cable works for you!

-Sean

KWOO1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have two 7216s and two WD 1TB external hard drives.  One of the DVRs will randomly flash a message that the external hard drive was improperly disconnected (even though I did not disconnect or do anything), and the hard drive needs to reboot.  It has been doing this about two times a day lately.  I'm assuming that when it does this in the middle of the night, and I hear the DVR rebooting, that I would have seen that message.  If I'm around when it does that, after the reboot has completed and I turn on the box and tv, it presents the verizon red screen and then back to regular tv.  I'm hoping that these cables will do the trick.

Fortunately, everything still seems to have been recorded.  I have not noticed this on the other DVR yet.

0 Likes
KWOO1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Both DVRs started getting the error about the external hard drive.  Luckily the shielded cables that seanwasta referenced came and I have not seen the error in the past few days.  Thanks seanwasta!

0 Likes
mrchompers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had external drive (Seagate Barracuda 2TB) working just fine since Verizon enabled external storage on DVRs back in the Fall, 2011.  They pushed new menu (v 1.9?) to my boxes in the last few weeks (early June 2012) and it disabled the external drive.  tried three different drives and all three are not recognized, but work just fine on PC.  Also worked with verizon tech support and they replaced my 7216 with a 7232....same results.  trying seanwasta's suggestion of shielded cables.  will let you know how it turns out.

0 Likes